1963 C-10 SWB BBW Fleetside in NC

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Started work on some of the mock up last night. Will get the new tubular mounts in this week and move the engine forward 2". Got the BBC lower alternator bracket in that I will modify to fit the 348. Got the back mount cut off and got the mount marked for trimming and drilling the upper mount hole before my fiancée's moms AC crapped out so had to go install a few window units. Will try and knock it out tonight.348-2.jpg 348-3.jpg 348.jpg

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Also noticed the crank pulley has a small ding in the pulley. Hoping it will work out so I don't have to replace. Doesn't look to bad, but I'll attempt to fix it either way.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Fuel lines won't be an issue, wiring will be pretty straight forward as the 6cyl trucks had driver side alternators. So pretty much down to finishing the alternator mount, exhaust manifolds and my mock up will be done. Will have a lot of questions coming up for the rebuild, so stay tuned.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I was pleasantly surprised at how heavy duty my mount was when I received it. I sandblasted the chrome and painted it satin black.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Thanks for the reply. I was also shocked at how heavy the mount was. They actually did a decent job on the welding too since its probably a foreign job. I plan to go with the bottom hole stock as is and modify the top of the mount for the upper hole in the case I ever go power steering in the future. Both my trucks still retain factory manual steering which is ok....I've driven these trucks for 20 years now, so I'm well accustomed to the manual steering. Brake upgrades to disk brakes on both trucks though due to engine size and power. I've already got the stepside crossmember complete, just need to swap it out. The fleetside won't be far behind.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I kept the lower hole and relocated the upper in order to clear the P/S pump.

62impala409 Supporting Member 1

I got the mount installed. I left the lower hole alone , drilled a new hole up top and trimmed off the original upper hole and everything cleared the power steering pump. Good to go!
dsc01282-jpg.24863
dsc01283-jpg.24864

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Thanks....I used your pictures for reference. Clearance is close on the valve cover, but the valve cover will come off with no issue. I still need to get a factory upper mount, but I've seen them online and they seem affordable.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got to 63's and a 64's short step side trailer project going on. And just got rid of a 61.....they just keep finding me. I'd like to see some pics of your trucks.
I belong to the 47 pickup site also ,my truck's are pictured there . 1966 short wide is my user name there.The shortwide is scattered right now ,waiting till i get my 63 ss finished.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Progress has been slow on both trucks due to workload and rain lately, but I was able to move the engine forward 2" and install the CPP tubular mounts. Still luck on the exhaust clearance, so I will probably end up running shorty headers and may have to modify the 2 tubes on both sides to work. I'll burn that bridge when I get closer to it. The added clearance is plenty. This gives me 1 1/2" clearance on the passenger side valve cover, so I could actually slide the engine back 3/4" of an inch if I want to. 348.jpg 348-3.jpg 348-4.jpg 348-5.jpg 348-6.jpg 348-7.jpg 348-8.jpg 348-9.jpg 348-a.jpg

Attachments

• 348-2.jpg
    348-2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2

1963c-10

Well Known Member
And the alternator mount is at a buddy's house getting the final trimming done. Should have it back in a week or so.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Haha...I hear you there. I have another set of mounts enroute now and I'll see if they handle the exhaust clearance issues. I'll keep you posted on it.

1963c-10

Well Known Member

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Couple of new pics of the alternator mount back and front end sheet metal on for now. The front end will have to come back off, but I need it buttoned up until I complete the step side bbc swap.348 3.jpg 348 4.jpg 348 5.jpg 348 6.jpg 348 7.jpg 348 8.jpg 348 9.jpg

1963c-10

Well Known Member
I have an alternator from my old 230 inline on now, but will have to go to a v8 style alternator due to pulley alignment and the top mounting point.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Also a few teaser pics of the 63 stepside front end. Just done rebuilding from the frame up. All new Moog suspension, Monroe shocks, converted to a CPP disk brake kit, installed factory front tow hooks (rare on a 1/2 ton) and a factory sway bar. I have also converted to a dual mc and the clutch is being converted to a hydraulic clutch. Used all new grade 8 bolts for reinstall. And the blue paint w/the white walls will be the new body color.frame1.jpg

Attachments

• frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 5
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4