1963 C-10 SWB BBW Fleetside in NC

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Got the Gen IV set into the stepside last night. Set the engine back 1" from the forward mounting locations. Plenty of clearance at the firewall. The frame was trimmed 5/16" for header clearance. Trans was installed also. engine1.jpg engine2.jpg engine2a.jpg engine3.jpg engine4.jpg engine6.jpg engine7.jpg engine8.jpg

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Heres a pic of the borg warner HD 3 speed T-16. fully synchronized and one heck of a tough transmission. Was factory optioned for big blocks in 67-69 chevy cars. Mostly chevelle and Camaro apps. Was option M13. I found an original 68 Hurst install kit for the T-16 and used a Hurst super comp 3 tall truck shift body and shift arm. Came out pretty good. Its also been converted to a hydraulic clutch.
Also a pic of the valve covers I'm restoring for this big block. The ones on are for mock up purposes. Still need to do around 2 hrs of work to the other cover and paint and they'll be ready for install. trans1.jpg valve.jpg

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Yes and no. I ran into clearance issues on cyl 1 with the stepside. No problem.....had a buddy who had the same issue. Went to POL mounts and am waiting on some HTC hedman headers to get here. That will complete the 63 stepside engine/trans. Have been working on the cab in the mean time getting it stripped down to bare metal.cab2.jpg cab.jpg cab3.jpg

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Fleetside is stalled until I get the step side moving under its own power again....which should be in the next couple of weeks.

I have been stockpiling more parts for it as it was a basket case prior to me getting it. I have most of the missing parts for it now, so at least its a complete truck again. Have the majority of the issues worked out as far as the engine is concerned....and keeping my eyes peeled for an aluminum powerglide. I have the original 58 cast iron powerglide if its any use to anyone. I want the newer lighter trans for this build.

1963c-10

Well Known Member
Did get a factory shroud to fit over the 348 very nicely....and a few more pics of the gen IV...the headers will be getting swapped out still.348.jpg engine2.jpg engine1.jpg

409envy

Well Known Member
Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a question regarding the aftermarket BBC alternator bracket. Why did you choose to go with that bracket instead of a later style 409 passenger car alternator bracket assembly? Cost? Fitment? It would seem to me that the engine compartment of the C10 would have plenty of space for the passenger car style alternator setup. Just a thought as I am trying to work through the same issues.

Good progress BTW!