1963 Chev Biscayne drive train up grade questions, need advice and parts

NASTY 409

Banned
Planning to install a 9" Ford rear end in my 63 Biscayne with four speed &482" stroker , or should I use a 12 bolt Chev??? need comments and advice, also would like to beef up drive shaft some how??? thank you :)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are a couple threads by Rickys61 and yellow wagon recently. If you do a members search for those two you can read their experiences on the swap.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I put a 9" in from Johns Nine Inch Factory and an Inland Empire driveshaft in .. I'm thinking it's gonna solve my drivetrain problems...:deal

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I have two of John's 9" rears in my race cars I did add to the upper brackets though
mopar-270-small-jpg.20355

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Planning to install a 9" Ford rear end in my 63 Biscayne with four speed &482" stroker , or should I use a 12 bolt Chev??? need comments and advice, also would like to beef up drive shaft some how??? thank you :)
There are a couple threads by Rickys61 and yellow wagon recently. If you do a members search for those two you can read their experiences on the swap.
As Dan said, look at the following threads, great details.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/lets-talk-9-rears.31564/
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/centering-rearend-body.32094/
http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/rear-end-upgrade.30294/

But some will still argue that the original rear ends if set up correctly are good for around 500hp. This myself is what I'm sticking with and adding a 4th diff top arm and posi unit with strengthened caps

Gav

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Every drive shaft place can get the same components as IE. The only edge they may have may be more knowledge of applications on our cars. Not a deal breaker for me. Mine was made here in Iowa and delivered to my racing buddy at the track. What ever you do, buy once, cry once.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
^ Good advice there. And yes I agree, they just happen to have built (IE) quite a few driveshafts for our cars. But any reputable driveshaft builder could build the same or better and probably for less money. Inland Empire does build a very nice driveshaft that said

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I've been around equipment my whole life, repaired, and built heavy stuff. Sometimes folks have laughed at how heavy I built things, but they were always "Crusher Tough." There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over....been there, done that,......and I do realize in racing that weight will cost you time. But.....that don't make a crap if you broke on the way down the track. Or maybe at the line.....:winnerat Great Bend??????/////

Last edited:

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
here in columbus ohio we had, it has been years a place that built shafts and reworked flywheels. i needed a drive shaft for a nailhead skylark 66.
all they asked was length and how much torque. i imagined they used diff tubes. jim

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The thicker splined or hardened joint in the center is the hard one to get by itself. Pretty sure I got one from Danny's years ago.