1963 Chevrolet Impala SS Convertible 409/400 HP, 4-Speed in Glendale, AZ

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There was a plain 64' Conv. that went for $46,000 and it wasn't even nice. I guess that means my little investment might pay off some day. I need to get eh girl cleaned up.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice looking car.
She was but I just don't have much time lately to clean her up. I was setting in it yesterday and she sets more than she runs due to my focus on the wagon. Funny thing is my dad did a compression check on here to see how the engine is doing and its still over 200psi per cylinder. It was about 420hp when I had it built 383 if I remember right. Maybe 355. Either way she has had the Conv over 120mph many times in my younger years. First set of world product heads I bought, I think they are the Sportsman II or something like that. All I know is the engine was built back in 1998 and still purrs like a kitten.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LOL! I picked the car up back in 1998 in Boone Iowa (just north of where I live now) from a guy who bought himself a 1986 Corvette and decided he didn't like the 64' Conv anymore. LOL! SUCKER! And that is my mama standing with me at GoodGuys 2017. I was busy working hunting for cars to buy for work and my parents had just pulled up in my car. Before my dad saw me I yelled "Do you want to sell that 64' Conv.?" He says, "How much you offering?" He finally got turned around and saw me standing there and I was straight faced pissed at him for even considering an offer. We got a good laugh I keep it stored at my parents place because I don't have room for it here unless I want no shop space. I could set my 2dr sedan outside I guess but I'd rather not. I figure if I have to keep walking around my 2dr sedan that it will get built at some point. I'm going to stuff the 409 I have for it in soon and put some of the other parts I have for it in the car. Besides my parents get to drive it now and then if I'm not going to drive it myself. My Dad's 29 roadster doesn't have any top on it so if they are going to a show where it might rain that day/weekend then they might just take the conv. If its bad out then my dad will still go but take the 68' C10 Panel truck he has. Anyway, the Conv isn't a show car but it is my #1 dream car as far back as I can remember and I was lucky enough to buy it when I was 20 years old and just out of high school. My purple 64' 2dr hardtop was Jealous so she had to go to make room for my new favorite.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
LOL! I picked the car up back in 1998 in Boone Iowa (just north of where I live now) from a guy who bought himself a 1986 Corvette and decided he didn't like the 64' Conv anymore. LOL! SUCKER! And that is my mama standing with me at GoodGuys 2017. I was busy working hunting for cars to buy for work and my parents had just pulled up in my car. Before my dad saw me I yelled "Do you want to sell that 64' Conv.?" He says, "How much you offering?" He finally got turned around and saw me standing there and I was straight faced pissed at him for even considering an offer. We got a good laugh I keep it stored at my parents place because I don't have room for it here unless I want no shop space. I could set my 2dr sedan outside I guess but I'd rather not. I figure if I have to keep walking around my 2dr sedan that it will get built at some point. I'm going to stuff the 409 I have for it in soon and put some of the other parts I have for it in the car. Besides my parents get to drive it now and then if I'm not going to drive it myself. My Dad's 29 roadster doesn't have any top on it so if they are going to a show where it might rain that day/weekend then they might just take the conv. If its bad out then my dad will still go but take the 68' C10 Panel truck he has. Anyway, the Conv isn't a show car but it is my #1 dream car as far back as I can remember and I was lucky enough to buy it when I was 20 years old and just out of high school. My purple 64' 2dr hardtop was Jealous so she had to go to make room for my new favorite.
Well we would have never guessed that story!!!! Glad you cleared that up!!! Ha .

Junky

Well Known Member

Except for the wheels, I would have thought that was a picture of my 1964 Impala Convertible (less the people standing next to it). I installed factory A/C in the car in the spring of 1964 from a wrecked coupe. It was hit in the left cowl, and the shop that I worked at. They installed a new cowl from a wrecked non air car to repair that car. The shop specialized in rebuilding wrecks, and my job was removing interiors and reinstalling them. Parked my car next to that one while the nose was off of it, and started swapping engine parts etc. When I came home at the end of May, I had the trunk filled with that which I couldn't put onto the car earlier. Worked great, and I enjoyed that car, but it always needed new tires ever 20,000 miles. Back then, I did a lot of driving, and tires didn't last very long.