1963 Chevrolet Impala Wagon 409 CI, Factory Air No Reserve

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
sold $56,100

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-444998/1963-chevrolet-impala-wagon/

1963 Chevrolet Impala Wagon | S222.1 | Kissimmee 2021

A station wagon with a hot V-8 engine is an idea that has stood the test of time. This extremely rare 1963 Chevrolet Impala Wagon with its fire-breathing 409 CI V-8 engine and factory air conditioning stands as vintage inspiration for modern hot V-8-powered wagons like the Mercedes-Benz AMG E63S Wagon, the Audi RS6 Avant or the now extinct Cadillac CTS-V Wagon.
www.mecum.com

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
4 speed would put some excitement into it....
Just before I bought my 64' Wagon I missed out on a chance to buy basically the same car with a factory 4speed. Would have been sweet but in reality the wife needs to be able to drive the kids around if needed and as of today she still doesn't know how to drive a stick. That will change this spring though, her 59' TR3 should be ready to drive and she needs to learn. I'm sure she will love it.

4spd409

Well Known Member
I was fortunate to have owned a 64 340hp 409 4 speed wagon. It was a very nice original one owner car with a lot of paper work. Posi, metallic brakes and transistorized ignition were a few of the options but oddly no PS or PB. Sold the car about 8 years ago to a guy in Southern California and it popped up in a Youtube video. Google 1964 Chevy 409 Wagon and you can catch a short video. Yes I have seller's remorse.

Junky

Well Known Member
Interestingly, it has the step pads for the 3rd folding rear facing seat, but no mention of it in the auction description. For the selling price, I don't believe that you could start off with a car like that, and bring it to the level of this car. The restoration would cost more than the selling price.
I was fortunate to have owned a 64 340hp 409 4 speed wagon. It was a very nice original one owner car with a lot of paper work. Posi, metallic brakes and transistorized ignition were a few of the options but oddly no PS or PB. Sold the car about 8 years ago to a guy in Southern California and it popped up in a Youtube video. Google 1964 Chevy 409 Wagon and you can catch a short video. Yes I have seller's remorse.

With the metallic brake option, power brakes were not available option.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The video shows a board in the back that says unrestored. Looks like it has been repainted to me but I haven't seen it in person. Pretty cool! The one I found for sale was a Gold one over in Arizona.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The aqua 64 wagon was not repainted when I owned it. The paint presented very nice when buffed out. The guy I sold it to may have repainted but I very much doubt it as he was very concerned about its originality when he purchased it.
Actually I was thinking about the guy before you painting it. The untouched cars do exist but so few and so neat when you do see them. How many miles did the car have when you sold it? What kind of ware did it have?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Back when I was a kid and found my 64' convertible, I had never seen tilt or power seats in person in one of these cars.
I parted out a 63
Parisienne convertible, it had a 283 powerglide, power seat, tilt, power brakes, power steering. The workings for the power seat and the tilt column went into a 63 impala, as did the front seat trim and the rear convertible seat, power top stuff, visors, front windshield trim, and rear trim around the rear back window. The 63 tilt I was told was only delivered on about 14,000 USA and Cdn Chev and Cdn Pontiacs.

If that was all original options on the black wagon, it is a very rare 63.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On one of my 63 SS cars I have I bought back in 2008 for 2k with a frozen 350 and it had a factory tilt,tach, 704 cased 63 muncie and a 308 posi. Car is currently running my newest 409.. I had thought 65 was first year for tilt so I thought someone had put a column out of something else in it but nope it's factory. I when back and forth with this guy for 2 months over the price and he came into a bad situation so he finally accepted my 2k offer, he was asking 4k but he was so desperate he called me after telling me to f off saying 2k was good and he would deliver the car that day. Man I was a dumb ass back then. I have seen 63 tilts go for 2k by themselves and not with the tach cut out and most are missing the lower shaft as most people don't know they are different.

4spd409

Well Known Member
I guess I wasn't clear enough the 64 was never repainted by the original owner or myself. Photos and film make it look better that it is. Anybody that would repaint a car that is that original with that good of paint is nuts. The primary fault in it's paint is gravel rash along the rear quarters. The car was parked in 1980 and only driven on rare occasion until 1996. I bought it from the original owner in 2000. Car had 70.000 miles. Had to do a complete freshening of everything. All fluids belts, hoses, brakes, carb, ignition, tires, exhaust, radiator,tires, Ujoints. Had to replace the gas tank as it had sat 4 years with a half tank of gas and the upper half of the tank was very rusty. Luckily I had a nice tank from a parts wagon. Never spent so much money and time on a car before I could hear it run. It ran great.