1963 chevy x frame on ebay item #352655735942

tcinney

Hi, can anyone tell me if all frames came from the factory this way? because I see the z bar mount bracket, however I also see what I believe is the bracket for automatic transmission linkage. so were both brackets originally on the frames?

thanks,
Tom

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That bracket is for 3 speed factory linkage arms swivel used to connect to the factory 3 speed transmission.
On a 62 cast iron PG the swivel bracket was much smaller. I think that type of 63 frame bracket ( on the e- bay frame) was also used by all aluminum powerglides from 62 to 64.
The swivel used on that frame bracket also connected to the 3 speed steering column (with 2 round 1/2 & 3/4 shifter rods. On PG cars there was one round rod to the steering column.
Factory PG cars also used a frame bracket for the linkage.
Only factory 4 speed cars did not have these swivel linkage brackets.

Each factory car with a 3 speed or a PG had the matching frame bracket.
A power glide car would would not have the z bar bracket

Any car with a missing engine or bare frame( that has not been modified) you can tell what transmission came with the car from the factory by checking for frame linkage brackets or the lack of brackets on the frame ( factory 4 speed cars)
Paul

tcinney

Paul, thank you for explaining everything in detail. greatly appreciated, for the frame looks very clean and it's only 200 miles from me.

Tom