1963 disc brake conversion

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I am thinking of converting my 63 Impala to power front disc brakes. The car presently has manual drum brakes. From what I see the line goes from the master cylinder to the drivers flex hose,across the front to the passenger flex hose then to the rear brakes. When I convert to the power disc front brakes, how did you route the lines. I see various suppliers sell complete line kits, which one have you had good results with. I am not removing the body, so this will be done with the body on the frame. Thanks.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When you add a dual master cylinder, you can use the existing brake lines. You use the existing line the runs from the master cylinder to the left front tee to the right front tee. Block the port in the right front tee that the rear line connected to. Then run a new line from the rear brake side of the master cylinder down and across the front cross member just as the existing line routes. then use a flare connector to attach it to the line that runs to the rear brakes.
If your lines are old and the condition is unknown, I would run all new ones.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I converted 2 of my cars over to front disc brakes. My '56, '57 and my '64 came already done. All three were manual. It's my limited experience, but I honestly don't see any difference between drum and disc. On my '62, I have power drum brakes which work well and stop the car just fine. I have absolutely no desire to change those front brakes to disc. I do like the power option, but that is where it ends with me. I know others swear by disc brakes and that's fine. If you do a lot of freeway driving, stop and go traffic, then the disc are probably better. Just not the case with me. From what I read, there was no proof that disc stop any better then drum. Sorry, I know this doesn't help with your question. Just wanted to share my experience, Carmine.