1963 Gold Impala Restoration

Worked on the doors and fenders today lots of parts now media blasted. An interesting option with this gold car it came with chrome reserve 6"X14 deeper reverse on rear JK code is stamped on them with button stainless hub caps DSC01990.JPG

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My brother ordered these chrome wheels on our 63. Not a wise move. With the snow and salt used in Northern Indiana winters, they pitted and rusted badly no matter how much we tried to prevent it.

When I restored car in the early 90's, I checked with a number of big chrome shops (even a couple on West coast). They all said forget it. If I remember right, they said something about "warping" the wheel during process.

bobs409

Administrator
My brother ordered these chrome wheels on our 63. Not a wise move. With the snow and salt used in Northern Indiana winters, they pitted and rusted badly no matter how much we tried to prevent it.

When I restored car in the early 90's, I checked with a number of big chrome shops (even a couple on West coast). They all said forget it. If I remember right, they said something about "warping" the wheel during process.

I can't imagine that happening or there would be NO chrome wheels. I think they were trying to get rid of you. :p

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10

To "properly" chrome a rim, you have to remove the center section in order to grind and polish both sections. Then to weld back the center to the rim would destroy your new chrome.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Can't tell you Tommy other than the new pieces were prepped before assembly and would chrome OK. Just a guess as it had to be done somehow originally. But I had checked with my local chrome shop years ago and that's what I was told.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Can't tell you Tommy other than the new pieces were prepped before assembly and would chrome OK. Just a guess as it had to be done somehow originally. But I had checked with my local chrome shop years ago and that's what I was told.
I just wondered Phil. I have a set of 14x6 reverse chrome wheels from the sixties that i would like to have rechromed and the plating shop here in Richmond told me the same thing, said they couldnt do it.

I have a real good friend that worked at Art Brass in Seattle since retired, he has already talked to his old boss (owner) they are going to try and replate them all four the rear rims are deeper than the front 14X6 the pic I posted is a rear rim with JK and other numbers the front are also JK they look narrower until you put them next to each other because of the look of the offset they are also 14X6 stamped on them. They are all being sand blasted to remove the rust pits and what ever chrome comes off directions from the owner of the plating place, so hopefully they turn out. Anyone out there have real nice 63 stainless hubcaps I have a couple but all have dents my friend Tom that worked at Art Brass for many years can straighten alum. and stainless I have a large polisher that came from Art Brass Tom uses that to do my parts Im so lucky to know him very hard to find anyone that can do what he does it is a real art he makes it look easy until you try to do it yep one bent piece. He did all the Alum. and stainless for gasgussler's 409 bubble top Stan Ball.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dwaine,
I suggested this before but you really should consider getting with Verne Frantz and having him document that gold car. You have the first factory built 4 speed 927 car that has surfaced. Verne also has a 927 car and has keen interest in these cars. Just say'n