1963 Impala SS Convertible - Deadwolf

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I've got my work cut out for me. I've got a 1963 Impala SS Convertible that has been sitting in storage for over 17 years in a non-climate controlled garage in the Nevada desert. I will have it shipped to me in April or May as it sits at my parents and I see no reason to risk it getting stuck in a snow storm on the way to Michigan. The 283 engine was freshly overhauled about 5 years before going into storage. The power glides front seal long ago let the contents of the transmission drain out. The big thing that has kept if from being driven is the rear brake hose burst in 2000 and with a single master cylinder it had to be driven home using E-brake.

It's going to be a long project. It is a completely matching numbers car other than a repaint, convertible top replacement, and the front passenger side wheel hub is off a 1964 Impala. I've thought about a numbers matching factory restoration, but I want to have something I can have fun driving. Currently thinking front disc brakes with a dual master cylinder and power booster. Putting a TKO 5 speed in the car and either going with a built 327 or if the finances fall into place I would love to and may look into a 409. I've though a cheaper option though might be a 348 bored .030 over with a 396 crank for a 408 cid engine and at least the appearance of an actual 409.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site! We'll be waiting for pictures when you get the car to you place. You should start a build thread at that time.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome to the site.
Lots of help here for what you noted
A 64 wheel hub is the same as a 63. Remember that a TKO 5 speed will require significant tunnel modifications and will cost over a $ 1000 more than a Muncie 4 speed.
Paul

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:welcome2If you;'re going to go the 348 stroker route,a 4 inch stroke [434 inch] will be cheaper to build than a 408 inch stroked 348 would be,by a considerable margin.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Thanks all for the welcome.

Welcome to this great site! We'll be waiting for pictures when you get the car to you place. You should start a build thread at that time.
I definitely plan on this, but it will probably be a very slow build page as I monkey around in my spare time.

Welcome to the site.
Lots of help here for what you noted
A 64 wheel hub is the same as a 63. Remember that a TKO 5 speed will require significant tunnel modifications and will cost over a $ 1000 more than a Muncie 4 speed.
Paul
That is why we used the 64 hub, found it on a 4 door parts car in salvage yard back in 1993. Need the 5 speed overdrive cause up here in Michigan the interstate speed on some roads is 75 MPH. If I want any kind of rear gear I am going to need that overdrive gear so I don't go deaf driving a convertible at 3000 RPM for long periods.

:welcome2If you;'re going to go the 348 stroker route,a 4 inch stroke [434 inch] will be cheaper to build than a 408 inch stroked 348 would be,by a considerable margin.
That is good to know. My major concern is the heads. From my research you can't use 409 heads on a 348 due to the valves. I'm wondering if you can port and polish a stock 348 car or truck head enough to make some decent power. Not that I am looking for a drag car (can't get big enough tires on a convertible), but would like something around 350 HP to get the beast moving.

The powerglides always do that! If you don't drive them, they dump the fluid. :bonk
Yea I seem to remember that issue on a 66 Hardtop I had parked while in the military. If memory serves me right I started that car and filled it up and the transmission sealed itself back up after the gaskets swelled back up. Granted that was after sitting for only 4 years and if I parked it for more than a week it would all leak back out again.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Your understanding about the heads is WRONG! The main reason not to use the large port heads on a smaller inch engine is that the engine's low speed street manners would suffer.Now if you're using Edelbrock heads on a 348 block,unless you notch the block for the extra clearence[easily done] you're limited to about .550 lift on the exhaust side.This has to do with the fact that Edelbrock changed the valve angle,not the valve size.A mild,very sreetable ,400 plus hp can be made from a stroked 348 very easily by using small port [1147,817,modified 333 truck] heads,and a single 4bbl,if you use the right parts combination.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The cost difference in building a stout 348 versus a stout 409 (assuming new pistons, new top end reciprocating parts, etc.) is maybe $1000 - $1500.

The main cost differential would be the block (assuming same heads, intake, etc. in each build). 409 blocks are more "prized" and 348 blocks get a bit of (undeserved) bad rap from the uninformed masses. Putting a fresh 409 of any kind in a 1963 convertible would be more valuable than slipping a 348 in there, since they stopped making passenger 348s prior to 1961. IMHO a 409-powered 1963 convert is wayyyy more desirable than a 348-powered 1963. But that's me :).

I like both engines but try to keep the 348s for pre-1961 models. Either way your gonna spend some coin building the W engine as opposed to the more commonly seen SBC. But the resulting value (and wow factor) will be of an order of magnitude higher :).

Good luck with your resurrection!

TomK

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Same here. I only get a chance to work in the shop on Saturdays and a day or two when I take a vacation. I started this thread in 2014 -http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/63-ss-impala-original-409-car.26066/ and it will probably be a few more years before it's finished.

No updates for going on 3 years!

My car is actually originally from PA also, but it is a little more solid than yours was originally. Was kept in a garage and not driven most winters. I'm more of the kind of guy that wants to do all the mechanics, but will probably farm out most of the body work. I've actually been considering buying a spare frame and building that up for the body later. That way I can fix the existing car up enough to drive around in the mean time. Just spare convertible frames are an expense that I could definitely direct the money elsewhere.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome from another 63 SS ragtop owner. Mine also needs a lot of work and I have been collecting parts for the 409 to go in it for a couple of years now. Whatever way you choose to go these guys know their stuff and will steer you in the right direction.