1963 Impala SS wheel/tire sizes

Hello all,

Working on getting my dads 63 Impala running after being in storage for 23 years. Been urging him to put an aluminum wheel on it, but could use some experience on what width wheels, back space and tire sizes will fit, especially the rear being it tucks so far up inside the wheel opening.

Looking at doing an American Racing Torque Thrust II in the 15" diameter. Do NOT want the low profile pro touring look.

Will an 8" wheel fit in the back? Will a 275/60 radial tire fit?

thanks for any and all suggestions.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think a 4 1/2 inch backspace is what is needed, give or take, and then the question is, do you have your exhaust running in the stock location over the axle?

There are also plenty of other posts on here on this question, not sure how hard they are to find with a search. The majority on here run 15 inch I would say, you might look at some of the build threads, there should be some good posts there.

Some pics of the car and the story would be good- unless I missed a post elsewhere. But welcome to the site BTW.

Don

The car is a 1963 Impala SS. It has a 250 hp 327 with the 4 speed, bucket seats, dash mounted tach. White exterior, blue interior. My dad is the original owner, have many fond memories as a kid riding in the car.

My niece is getting married this coming July and asked if I would chauffeur them for the wedding. I've been talking to dad about getting the car back out and this was the kick in the pants to make that happen. The car has been in storage and hadn't seen daylight since I was 15 years old and I'm now 45, so it's been in storage for 30 years now.

Last fall we dug the car out of it's garage and brought it to my house. I am basically trying to preserve the car as a survivor but make it mechanically sound so we can drive it from time to time. It will get a frame off restoration once it's mine some day. So far I've replaced the fuel tank and entire fuel system, have the carb off now to rebuild. All new brake lines, new rear brakes and dad wanted to install power disc up front (kept all the stock parts for later to return to stock). I also had the radiator rebuilt with a new core, but kept the stock brackets & tanks. All new hoses, etc. Dad also wanted to install a Vintage air system which I did not want to do, but I agreed figuring it could be removed down the road.

I am going to pick the car up here soon to finish installing the new exhaust (all new restoration, stock) and finish up the A/C and get it aligned. I was wanting to do the wheels since it needs new tires anyway.

20140601_132627_resized_1_zpsudeyuw5g.jpg

20140601_134420_resized_zpss6r4675t.jpg

20140601_140911_resized_zps0b1fpsp9.jpg

20140601_162410_resized_zps9dhvmnws.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Car looks great. Although not correct, I'd be tempted to slip one of those sets of 300 HP heads on there at some point in the build.