1963 Impala SS

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome to the site ---great car :clap. I had a 63 SS 409/340 HP convertible that had the original motor, transmission -sold to a friend and he restored it (it was rusty )

The clutch pedal is a automatic pedal. Automatic pedals will fit like a normal clutch pedal (that is the same width as the brake pedal). The automatic pedal has the same shaft length as a regular clutch pedal -so I am almost certain that's what has been done -it will fit in the mount on the under dash brace and work with a brake pedal from a 63/64 clutch and brake pedal set.
I have been restoring 1961 to 1964 clutch and brake pedals (I have sets of all of all 4 years right now) so they are very famlair to me on how they mount to the under dash brake that holds the steering column & the clutch/brake pedal or just a single wider PG pedal.

Paul

cbuczesk

I didn't notice the pedal size difference when I looked at them but it's obvious in the picture. Can I trim the pedal to be the correct size? Any guesses as to why it has the wrong pedal? It's an original 4-speed car.

Chuck

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
the brake pedal is obscured by the steering wheel...hurst appears to be stamped on the side of the stick...better get them readin glasses back on your nose...
Oh ,I was looking viewing the picture on my phone at the time so it was easy to overlook,you know smaller.....

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just cut the left side off, match it to the size of the brake pedal, if its working.

It is an original brake pedal for an automatic, does it work good as a clutch pedal, it likely would not have the same stops and not sure the hole for the clutch rod would be in the right place?

Is the brake pedal maybe a clutch pedal and they were installed backwards?

cbuczesk

Just cut the left side off, match it to the size of the brake pedal, if its working.

It is an original brake pedal for an automatic, does it work good as a clutch pedal, it likely would not have the same stops and not sure the hole for the clutch rod would be in the right place?

Is the brake pedal maybe a clutch pedal and they were installed backwards?
I can trim the pedal. That's easy enough.

The POs have done all of the work up until now. I have a feeling that Chuck, who passed away, was the brains behind the project. They didn't finish connecting the shift rods so I don't know how it shifts. I'll have to crawl under the dash to have a look.

Someone mentioned that both pedals should be the same size. Makes sense to me but I don't know for sure.

Thanks,
Chuck

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are pictures of:
  1. Overall picture of (left to right) 63/64 clutch and brake pedals, of just the 63/64 clutch pedal, a 62 PG pedal, and a complete 62 chevy clutch & brake pedal with the under dash brace.
  2. 2nd picture --a set of 63/64 Chevy clutch and brake pedals (will only fit 63/64 under dash brace -that the steering column bolts too)
  3. 3rd picture -- of a single 63/64 clutch pedal (I don't have a picture of a 63/64 under dash brace)
  4. 4th picture -- of a 62 Chevy PG brake pedal -The 63 PG pedal is the same width and a similar connection to the under dash brace
  5. 5th picture -- of a 1962 Chevy clutch and brake pedal with the under dash brace (the stop arm on 62's is different and the under dash brace has a different shape -to fit the dash itself and the clutch stop)
  6. 6th picture -- of the mounting of the clutch pedal inside the dash brace with a pull back spring around the outside shaft of the clutch pedal
  • Note that all the clutch pedals have a stop arm on them that hits the under dash brace and a rubber stop on the under dash brace --for the arm to hit when the clutch is released all the way - this stop is part of the clutch adjustment to get the right free play
  • All the clutch pedals have a hole in them to mount the upper rod that runs through the firewall to push on the Z bar on the frame (I can add a picture of the rod through the firewall if needed attached to the 63/64 clutch pedal)
  • Note that the clutch pedal or the PG pedal fits inside the under dash brace
  • Note that the PG pedal has a pin to install it in the under dash brace
  • There is not a rod through the firewall that connects to the PG brake pedal
IMG_0001-003_tn.jpgIMG_0002-003_tn.jpgIMG_0003-003_tn.jpgIMG_0004-003_tn.jpgIMG_0005-004_tn.jpgIMG_0006-004_tn.jpg
Paul

cbuczesk

Thanks for the pictures! I'll get under there this weekend and see what's going on. Does anybody have a clutch pedal for sale? lol

Chuck