1963 Impala Trunk

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Guys

Need some help from those of you who are fortunate enough to have your cars together.

I am currently working in the trunk area on my 63 SS hardtop and need some assistance.

Can you post pictures of your finished trunk area so I can get some idea what it should look like?

Also what type of mats go into the trunk? Are they rubber or the gray and black vinyl?

Also I assume the trunk area should have the splatter paint, where do I find it?

Thanks in advance
Ed

kodamar

Well Known Member
I had a couple of cans of the spatter paint that I bought years ago, I believe from Hubbard's at Spring Carlisle. It was marketed as "GM Restoration" brand.

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I appreciate the information, and will contact Hubbards to see if they have it.

Thanks for the response
Ed

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
trunk paint

lots of different colors for trunks. I got mine at Pep Boys auto parts (plasticoat brand). Water based enamel with acrylic clear overcoat.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
sorry for the slow reply.
you can get what you need straight from eastwood. take what they recommend to cover your car and double it. 63 is light grey splatter. i learned the hard way........that stuff is water based. you must use water base clear on top of it. but it still wont stand up to a water leak into your trunk.

my advice.......prep and spray entire area with dupont epoxy primer #DP-50 first. then blast the splatter and clear. run a fan on it for a few days. put in the mats and spare...........bingo.

strangely enough, i dont have a pic of the trunk in my red car. but it is near perfect. if i take one, i'll post.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
It's a shame that they stopped selling the real splatter paint. Used to buy it in quarts and shoot it with a spray gun. That's the only way to get the correct appearance.

Now days I paint the trunks with 2 coats of light gray primer with a hardner, make sure it's covered good then apply the spray can splatter paint. I use just enough of the spray can paint to get the splatter effect. The '61 that I'm working on now required 2 spray cans.

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
anyone tried a waterborne epoxy clear? I would think that could hold up pretty well to water...

star

i just finished restoring the inside of my trunk, there is a guy on ebay selling the real gm formula, i used it and the finish is by far better than the rattle can stuff,and you dont have to clear coat it, this stuff i got from him looks identical i believe to the factory finish, i just did a seach on ebay but did not find any he is selling right now, but he just had some there a few days ago, give it a day or 2 and then search ebay for splatter paint, it comes in a generic looking plastic quart jug and is water based with oil paint colors inbedded in it, $60 a quart, I am a painter by trade and i would not waste my time with the rattle can stuff, it looks like dogsh*t i think, the other option if you cant find the ebay paint is, zolatone, zolatone has been around many many years and has been used in aircraft interiours, buss interiour and automobiles, zolatone could be very well the original finish in gm car trunks, here is a link to it so you can decide for ur self, the silver gray code 20-74 should be the correct coler for early 60s gm cars http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/zolatone20.aspx

I will try and get somes pics up in the next day or 2 so you can see what it looks like in my trunk