1963 Nova SS- Will it Fit?

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I just thought I'd post this thread to tell you about an idea I've had running around my head, and to hear your feedback! I own a 1963 Nova SS, a real Super Sport, and I absolutely love it. Originally the car had a 194ci six-cylinder, which was the largest engine available in the ChevyII line until 1964. That motor ran great and moved my little car down the road just fine, but I had a different idea. I located a suitable small-block, a 283 out of some roundy-round racers spare parts heap. The engine has good internals, slightly worked-over heads, roller-rockers, an Edelbrock carb and Performer RPM intake, and ceramic coated headers with 2 1/2 inch exhaust. It sounds amazing and pushes my Nova down the road quite a bit faster than that old 6 ever could.
100_3670_zpsf54f66a2.jpg

It's certainly a snug fit for a small-block between those bulky shock towers in my Nova's engine bay, but it fits! And I like the fact that it's a 283 that's close to the correct vintage of the car itself. That got me thinking about the other engines Chevy offered in the early sixties... I started to imagine a fictional past where the Nova might have been offered with a big-block... But not a 396 0r a 427, I dreamed of a W motor. A 348 or (if I won the lottery) a 409!

Obviously, the issue of space raises concerns. I'd love to be able to do a stock-appearing 348 swap on my Nova, but is it possible? I've heard stories of guys stuffing a 396 in a stock (1st gen) Nova's engine bay, but never a W motor. Are the 348's and 409's much wider than the other big-blocks? Could a determined guy find a way to fit a W in there without completely removing the stock shock towers? I'd love to hear your opinions on the matter, and if anyone has ever seen or heard of a W in a 1st generation Nova, let me know!

Someday I want to be sitting here with a W under the hood and a 4-speed in my hand!
100_3674_zpsa27faa07.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dave Mills should chime in about now.

It could probably be done, but much easier to go with an aftermarket front suspension clip. I have a 67 Nova and the 327 is a tight enough fit. I thought about stuffing a 409 in it, but since it's an original 327 4 speed car, I decided to leave it alone.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
I love my 63, but a 67 with a 327 and a four speed is my absolute dream car! You're one lucky dog, Cecil. Good call on leaving it alone, but a 409 in that thing would be extremely cool. Is your 67 a driver or a project? I've looked into those front clips before, but haven't had a reason to get one. My Nova gets driven quite a bit, but most of the suspension and brake components remain unchanged. Riding around on 50-year-old underpinnings does get a little hairy at times though! I've also heard of guys putting a front clip from a later Nova or Camaro, or even a C4 Corvette onto their Nova.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Thanks for the plug skydog. The '09 sets on the stock frame mounts, & fits the firewall as if GM planned it. shock towers & suspension are another matter. My 65 sedan is a straight axle, no inside fender wells, drag race only car. Not sure if this info is much help to you or not.
----Dave---

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks Dave, that is helpful! I'd like to learn a little more about your 65, do you have more photos you'd like to share? I'm just interested in keeping the shock towers intact to keep the swap factory appearing. But I'm sure going with an aftermarket sub-frame would be the best option. I've seen quite a few "gasser" style Nova builds using straight axles, but some drive them on the street! Bet that would be a blast... Thanks again Dave.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Somewhere on this old PC I have a couple of photos of a Nova with a 409. I'll post them when I find them.

The car had a clip and no fender wells!!!!!!!!!

Happy Motoring Ted:)

Attachments

• novaaaaa.jpg
    novaaaaa.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 9
  • nova.jpg
    nova.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8
  • novaa.jpg
    novaa.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7
  • novaaa.jpg
    novaaa.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 8
  • novaaaa.jpg
    novaaaa.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 9

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Just for inspiration, skip to the 6:00 minute mark of this video to watch Dave's Chevy II in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S3_a7c7fpA&list=UU2EhiLe5Dt_UUX29efSwaGA&index=4
The first thing you notice is the great sound that you only seem to get from a really hot 409 :beer
And check out the wheelie, the car must be going 75 mph when it lifts the wheels in third gear. :clap
Got Torque!!! :beer
By the way, the 55 in the near lane is just a regular BBC.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Just for inspiration, skip to the 6:00 minute mark of this video to watch Dave's Chevy II in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S3_a7c7fpA&list=UU2EhiLe5Dt_UUX29efSwaGA&index=4
The first thing you notice is the great sound that you only seem to get from a really hot 409 :beer
And check out the wheelie, the car must be going 75 mph when it lifts the wheels in third gear. :clap
Got Torque!!! :beer
By the way, the 55 in the near lane is just a regular BBC.

Awesome clip, Jim, thanks a lot! You got me grinning from ear to ear with that one! My car needs a W between the fenders. I got a 348 sitting at home and a tri-power setup ready to bolt on. How sweet would it be to pop the hood on my 63 Nova and see a stock-appearing 348 Tri-Power staring back at you?! Someday man!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep a "Stock appearing"348 stroker would be cool in an early 'duece".I'd love to have the money to do one with the muchly needed frt.suspension upgrades.I bought a new 66 upon graduation from high school,and with the factory brakes [9 in.frt.and rear drums,you might as well drag your feet to stop it at any speed above 80-90 mph!:eek:no

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
Thanks Don, yeah money is going to be one of the biggest hurdles for me too. Definitely need that front suspension and brake upgrade with a 348, and then there's the extra weight to deal with too. There are some light-weight parts for those early Nova's now, like aluminum core supports and carbon fiber body panels, to offset the weight of a big-block. Or I could just win the lotto and buy one of those new Shafiroff Racing all-aluminum 509's! It's all money and time, time and money. And I know what you mean about those brakes! Most cars before 67 had that little single-pot master cylinder, and the one on my Nova was leaky! Needless to say I missed more than a few turns due to super soft brakes. A new master cylinder fixed that issue, although it's still just a single-pot. Oh yeah, my dad bought that Nova when I was just 10 years-old and helped me restore it when I got closer to 16. I thank God I've been blessed with the opportunity to be a part of the car culture, and to have a very supportive family. Between all 4 of us we own a 67 Malibu, a 69 Malibu, a 63 Nova, a 69 Camaro, a 71 Camaro, a 59 Biscayne and a 71 Challenger! Truly blessed indeed. Thanks again, Don.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:cryWhat really makes one sick is the price I paid for the car back then [2657.1o out the door]would barely make a down payment on a new car,and this one had an l-79,4 speed,12 bolt 3.55 posi ,and am radio .It was not an SS however. A dumb woman:bat ran a stop sign and took out the right side when it was 6 months old.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You need my 67 Nova project. Original 327 4 speed bench seat car (not an SS). No rust, but all apart. Engine is rebuilt real Chevy II 327 sitting on a stand. I don't have time for it.

Alec Derrey

Well Known Member
My gosh, that is a crying shame. What I wouldn't give to have a chance to go back in time and experience those cars when they were brand new. The prices of these classic cars have gotten to the point where nobody my age can afford them unless they are lucky or very rich. It's sad because there are many young people out there who are so passionate about classic American cars, but might never have the chance to own one. When I turned 16 my Nova wasn't finished, so I drove our 67 Malibu (2-Door, Marina Blue, 283/Power-Glide). I couldn't go anywhere without some old guy flagging me down and asking me if it was for sale... "Nope.", I'd say as I smiled and drove off. They probably thought I was just some dumb kid who had no idea what he was driving... My brother and dad had restored that car in the 90's, and now it's been driven so much that it needs to be re-done! Ultimately that's what these cars were made for; they were made to be driven!