1963 powerglide slow to upshift

denson1932

Well Known Member
We changed fluid and filter, no help. from cold (or even cool) start it won't upshift for a mile or 2, even longer now in winter...does it have to come out for repair? 1963 Impala 283 w/powerglide...all stock and about 100K miles on it. after warm-up all is good.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
We changed fluid and filter, no help. from cold (or even cool) start it won't upshift for a mile or 2, even longer now in winter...does it have to come out for repair? 1963 Impala 283 w/powerglide...all stock and about 100K miles on it. after warm-up all is good.
Have you tried adjusting the TV Rod? Is the vacuum modulator working?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Was the fluid slightly burned,and was there any clutch material in the pan or filter?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My thought....If you want any reliability out of it you should rebuild it. They have to be one of the easiest to do.
I rebuilt the 327 in my 63 with 100000 mile and looked at the trans setting in the car thinking I should take it out and rebuild it but thought it had been working fine...Guess what...Two weeks later I was rebuilding the trans.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rebuild it, however you most likely have a hardened seal. This is normal when they get old and hard. You may get away temporarily with puting in some seal conditioner, however I would not. I go by the addage that was taught to me. The only thing that belongs in a transmission is transmission fluid.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Rebuild it, however you most likely have a hardened seal. This is normal when they get old and hard. You may get away temporarily with puting in some seal conditioner, however I would not. I go by the addage that was taught to me. The only thing that belongs in a transmission is transmission fluid.
I disagree with you on that . I had a very low mileage very nice 1972 Chevy pickup I bought used back in the mid seventy's. It was not driven by me maybe once every two week's. While parked in garage it would leak about a one foot radius spot on floor from converter seal . I did not want to pull it out so I bought some conditioner from a Chevy dealer ,put it in and drove it several time's to get it mixed in. After a few week's the leaked completely stopped.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think that it great. I am glad it worked for you. My concern would be, when does it stop conditioning the seals? At what point do the seals become too soft? Do you ultimately have to rebuild it anyway? Are you just temporarily avoiding the real issue, being, something is failing? Again, glad you were able to get some satifaction from the product.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I think that it great. I am glad it worked for you. My concern would be, when does it stop conditioning the seals? At what point do the seals become too soft? Do you ultimately have to rebuild it anyway? Are you just temporarily avoiding the real issue, being, something is failing? Again, glad you were able to get some satifaction from the product.
Never had any problem's with it after that ,was a very slick truck factory hugger orange and white ,and hound's tooth interior .I later started driving it more on a daily basis and finally after two year's sold it for a premium price. The guy that bought it was local ,never had any problems with it. If GM sell's this how can it be bad for a tranny???. Just saying it worked for me.