Well Known Member
hornin around

DSCN1231_445.jpg

DSCN1230_444.jpg

DSCN1229_443.jpg

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It was certified some 12 years ago. The fellow that put it in has never had one turned down. They actually drilled and checked all welds. I have plates that cap the bars in the cabin like they do with all the uni body cars like mustangs, camaros, etc. The out bars (front and rear are attached to the frame. There is no way to attach the rest of the cage to the frame unless you cut into the x frame with cross bars underneath the floor. And we all know what that would do as far as exhaust routing. :doh

By the way, I was not showing off the cage, merely showing that it has not been worked on since 1998 when I was going to make a digger out of it.

Richie

The reason I posted is because there have been numerous threads on roll cages and most people say that we cant attach to the floor and we must attach to the frame I e mailed NHRA tec support on this issue and have yet to get a response. I have really solid floors in my car and I'm not looking forward to cutting them on of the problems of building a street and strip car , where do we draw the line on what we will modify everyone draws the line in a differant place. Ithink you are doing a nice job on your prodject ,keep the pictures coming.

lilbuzzy

Well Known Member
Thanks. Like I said, 12 years ago they said it was fine. If you want (might be a week) I can get you some pics of how they did the cage in my car with respect to the floor. My car was a run of the mill v8 three on the tree with no options. So I did not mind them cutting a bit. I will ask the guy who did mine what he knows, but suffice it to say he is retired from building cars.

Richie

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1
What kind of rack is in that front clip and what are you going to run for motor? I haven't been able to find one made for a big block.

lilbuzzy

Well Known Member
What kind of rack is in that front clip and what are you going to run for motor? I haven't been able to find one made for a big block.

It's an Art Morrison IFS clip. AGR 20 to 1 rack. Really want an all aluminum 409. If I dont run out of moola might get one. If not, I will scrounge up an iron block.

Richie

lilbuzzy

Well Known Member
I don't understand how that car roll cage was certified by NHRA when not all the legs of the cage were welded to the frame. and by the way nice work.

I was at a NHRA chassis cert today. They did 6 10.5 cars and 3 pro cars. I asked the inspector about what you told me and he replied that as long as the tubing checks out, 6 x 6 plates, snout bars and the rear bars attached to the frame, you could run as fast as 8.50. If you are going faster than that, then you need to look at sfi 25.1 type chassis rules.

Richie

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
maybe because of the halo, dash bar and the forward bars in the engine compartment the main hoop and door bars need not be attached to the frame. alto of us are not running as large a gage as that and maybe it would be different. I e-mailed NHRA tech dept over 2 weeks ago but haven't heard any thing back. thank you for you info Richie

Jud

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Not your first rodeo?

Clearly you've done this before, right?

Judging from the pace and the progression, along with the equipment on hand, this is what you do often and do well. Very nice project!

I seem to see more and more guys take the Pro Touring route, that's pretty special. I prefer stock builds, but appreciate the effort taken to modify chassis and suspensions to suit one's taste. You may not be able to replicate the handling of that C6, you are getting close!

I didn't know it snowed in March down in Alabama :). We had some five inches of the white stuff just the other day, and yesterday I was at the golf course in 70 degree temps. Drove the 62 Belair 409 car there because it was so nice out :).

Good luck with your build, we love the pictures and the progress!

TomK

lilbuzzy

Well Known Member
Clearly you've done this before, right?

Judging from the pace and the progression, along with the equipment on hand, this is what you do often and do well. Very nice project!

I seem to see more and more guys take the Pro Touring route, that's pretty special. I prefer stock builds, but appreciate the effort taken to modify chassis and suspensions to suit one's taste. You may not be able to replicate the handling of that C6, you are getting close!

I didn't know it snowed in March down in Alabama :). We had some five inches of the white stuff just the other day, and yesterday I was at the golf course in 70 degree temps. Drove the 62 Belair 409 car there because it was so nice out :).

Good luck with your build, we love the pictures and the progress!

TomK

Thank you for the vote of confidence. We (meaning my dad, who has had a mechanic shop since 1971) have worked on all kinds of cars from the classics to drag cars. He is the one that got me into this mess. And usually the one that gets me out of it! The protouring movement really promotes driving and performance in all kinds of situations. It has also spawned new industry and engineering that attempt to solve the problems associated with making old cars perform like brand new ones. We are working on our first pro tourers: dad's is a 66 chevelle, and my 63 impala. We are also helping a fellow GTO enthusiast who is moving in that direction as well.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328920

FWITW--If we get a good snow, it's usually Feb or March. This year we had our first white Christmas in about 50 years!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Chevelle's going to be nice too!:beerbang I love the wheels and the torch red paint.:beerbang
It looks like you guys could have that Chevelle up and running fairly soon.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thank you for the vote of confidence. We (meaning my dad, who has had a mechanic shop since 1971) have worked on all kinds of cars from the classics to drag cars. He is the one that got me into this mess. And usually the one that gets me out of it! The protouring movement really promotes driving and performance in all kinds of situations. It has also spawned new industry and engineering that attempt to solve the problems associated with making old cars perform like brand new ones. We are working on our first pro tourers: dad's is a 66 chevelle, and my 63 impala. We are also helping a fellow GTO enthusiast who is moving in that direction as well.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328920

FWITW--If we get a good snow, it's usually Feb or March. This year we had our first white Christmas in about 50 years!

GLOBAL WARMING ??:D

lilbuzzy

Well Known Member
GLOBAL WARMING ??:D

Actually it supports many scientists claims regarding climate change. I teach biology for a living...oops...just outed myself. The climate is changing. Too much data to refute it. Means altered and strange weather patterns. It's about water vapor, sun spots and what's going on with the carbon sinks. We put more out than can be absorbed. One way to look at it is if the caps melt and sea level rises, it's more difficult and expensive to get the black gold. Let's hope the current trend in ocean temps is just that, a trend.:cheers