1963 Vin

kodamar

Well Known Member
I have long heard that 1963 Impala SS models can only be verified by the trim tag, NOT the VIN.

When I once questioned someone about an online listing where the seller wrote that "The VIN indicates this is a real SS", he sent me back a link to a different decoding website where the first numbers of the VIN "314" decodes to an Impala SS V8.

I double checked THIS website, and indeed if the digits "314" are selected, it decodes as "Impala SS V8". I had never noticed this before!

I have seen many, many '63 Impalas that I have KNOWN to be SS models, and the VIN of any 2-door hardtop V8 Impala, SS included, is ALWAYS "318", not "314". In fact, I have never seen a '63 Impala with the "314" VIN.

What's the deal with this?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There was no "314". Model numbers were 1100 Biscaynes, 1200 Biscayne, 1500 Bel Air, 1600 Bel Air, 1700 Impala, and 1800 Impala.

The "3" is the year and the next four digits are the model number. "1" is for Chevrolet, "8" indicates a V-8 model , (a 6 cyl would be an odd number ie 7) "47" is a 2 door hardtop sport coupe.

In other words, 1847 was the model number for the V-8 powered Impala model 2 door hardtop sport coupe, which included both the regular bench seat car and as well as the SS version. If it was a 6 cylinder Impala it would be "1747". The second character is odd for 6 cylinder models and even for V-8 models.
The SS version would be determined by the trim number coded for bucket seats. Depending on the assembly plant, it may have acessory codes for "SS", or other options unique to the SS.

:coffee:

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
There's no such 63 car VIN that starts with 314. 3 is for 1963 and there are no 1400-series cars in 1963. In 1964 when the Impala SS was its own model it was either a 1400 or 1300 series car. 1400 for a V-8 and 1300 for a 6-cylinder.
1847 2dr ht
1867 2dr conv
1447 64 SS 2dr ht
1467 64 SS 2dr conv
17 for 6-cylinder
13 for 64 SS 6-cylinder

The 63 Super Sports used the same model designations as the non-SS cars. For a 63 you have to go to the trim tag. The interior trim number is different for a bucket seat interior than a bench seat interior. NEVER let anyone tell you Chevrolet put a bench seat in a 63 Impala SS!!! They didn't!!!

Bob, the VIN decoder you used must have a glitch in it.

Just check the trim tag and it will tell you all you need to know.

Ross

kodamar

Well Known Member
Yes, guys, I know how to check the trim tag for an SS...

I'm just asking why this AND other websites decode "314" in the head of the VIN as an Impala SS V8, when no such VIN exists?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

I'm just asking why this AND other websites decode "314" in the head of the VIN as an Impala SS V8, when no such VIN exists?

Could be that their decoding program only looks for an even number in the 3rd digit. either that, or they don't know what they're doing.:coffee:

bobs409

Administrator

I built our VIN decoder myself and the way it's made, you can select any variation.

You can click 3, then the 14 but since there was no 1963 car with that VIN, it's going to give an inaccurate answer. Try just clicking the 14 and you'll see it tells you "Your car is a: Impala SS 8 cylinder" Try 0 for 1960, then 14 and it will tell you your car is a "1960 Impala SS 8 cylinder" None of them ever made either.

The 14 (and 13) is there specifically for the 1964 year when the SS became a seperate model.

Bob