1964 hot start problem

chevykid

My Impala starts fine cold, but when it's warm I turn the key and it won't crank. If I leave the key in the on position I can jump the solenoid with a screw driver and it will crank and fire right away.

I have already replaced the starter and solenoid.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
go to www.madelectrical.com there you can read maybe why that is happening. i put the kit in and starts great and the lights are much brighter.
if you wish you can call and talk to the owner and he will help you out, very nice man.

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
chevykid said:
My Impala starts fine cold, but when it's warm I turn the key and it won't crank. If I leave the key in the on position I can jump the solenoid with a screw driver and it will crank and fire right away.

I have already replaced the starter and solenoid.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are you sure the ignition switch is good? check the connections, and continuity to the starter/solenoid (in the start mode).

Denis

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
I'd start with checking out all the basics: Battery connection, ignition switch, etc.

I had to put a F**D solenoid between my GM starter-mounted solenoid (on the small wire!) and the battery on my 1961 when I had headers on my 350. Headers can REALLY heat soak the solenoid and starter and cause the amp pull to go out of sight. That F**D solenoid beat the hell out of having to carry around that damn screwdriver, though!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Also, take a look at the auto manufactures. Chevy now uses a starter relay between the solenoid and the switch to take stress off the switch. M*#$R did it for years.

Good Luck!

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hi, I have had a simiar problem with a stock 327 in a 67, and if the previous sugestions don't fix the trouble, you may find the wiring loom to be causing the problem like mine. Due to the age, the restiance in the wire becomes greater. I hooked up a relay direct from the "crank wire" on the starter to the battery, which is the same as using a screwdriver across the terminals. When you crank the engine you get direct power from the battery. Good luck with it.
Jason