1964 impala coil springs

jraider

HI all. Just thought maybe someone here could clear up a little problem I had. I bought a 64 impala in pieces and am in the process of putting it back together. I have 4 coil springs, two being taller than the others. I don't really know if the long ones go in the front or in the back. the longer are about an inch longer than the other but have about the same number of coils. They are also the same diameter. Any help would be appreciated as to which goes where. Thanks.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
jraider, I think the taller ones go in the front but I can't remember. I am sure someone will chime in here with the correct answer. I also love your avatar....:clap:clap:clap

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
jraider: Dan is correct. The longer ones go in the front. I just changed the coils in my 64, last summer.:clap In my case, the rears were taller, and a larger diameter because they were for, a 409 9 pass station wagon w A/C. Skip:)

jraider

I guessed and put the longer ones in the rear :doh thinking there was more travel in the rear suspension so there should be longer spring... Well I guess I was wrong. At least they weren't real hard to install. Good to know, the car would have a wicked rake with the long ones on the back and 2" drop spindles up front. Thanks.

jraider

Swithed the springs and looks as it should. I also purchased some coil spring insulators for the front springs, I just figured they were origanal equiptment since they were offered in some parts catalogs... Did they even come factory? Should I install them on the top? Bottom? Both? Neither? Any feedback would be appreciated.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
If you're talking about the circular rubber one's, they go under the front coils. And yes, they were factory on some cars. I'm saying some, because I've had quite a few, 64 Impala's, and not all of them had the rubber, under the springs. Don't know why.:dunno

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
my entire front end including front springs were original to my car last spring and they didn't have the isolators under them :dunno

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
At one time they came in three thicknesses and we used them to level the cars but they were not standard.

Bill