1964 impala convertible exhaust

curvesman

I just ordered a new exhaust sytem for my 1964 convertible and it said fits all trims. Does a convertible have the same frame as a coupe.
Thanks in advance

curvesman

Thanks again! I know back in the day they said convertible were heavier, thought maybe the frame was different. Being I ordered it already got a little nervous.

bobs409

Administrator
They would have the rear rails boxed and some extra mounts as mentioned. Same shape so no problems there.

curvesman

Ebay seller Sat1966 All the pipes from front to rear with 2 mufflers for a 1964 impala convertible with a 409 with dual quads aluminized pipes for $315.00 plus 65.00 shipping total 380.00 He is located in Geneva Ohio

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
In my opinion....Shafer's Classics has the finest exhaust. I am a dealer and sell to the customer at Shafer's retail price.

All of their pipes are computer mandrel bent. This means NO WRINKLES in the pipes. The ends of the tailpipes are cut off square and then the bottom half has the 45 degree bevel just like originals. Pipe is furnished in either aluminized or stainless. 95% of all systems I've sold are aluminized. I also use Show Cars dual exhaust hanger kits. Warren Shafer sent me his very first set of 2 1/2" tailpipes and we had those installed on a customer's car in St. Louis about 8 years ago. They fit like a dream!!! Here is the 63-64 425HP kit with original muffler...http://www.shafersclassic.com/OnlineStore/product.aspx?id=14075 Yes, Shafer's are higher price but the quality of the pipe and bends to me is important.

I looked up the seller mentioned above and you can see the difference in the bends.....especially 2 1/2" head pipes. But the original GM pipes were the same way as these. The difference is the mandrel bending process.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I got my exhaust from Phil, ( Shafer) 2 1/2 inch all the way back, great fit on the 59 Impala.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The mandrel bends will provide much better flow,and much longer life,due to the lack of wrinkles.This will equate to better power,as well as gas mileage potential.

curvesman

Will let everyone no how the pipes look when I get them. That was funny ! Gas mileage.It is amazing how much gas these cars consume. Thanks again for all the help!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I said potential,it all depends on how well you tune it,and drive it.For example; If you drive it like MRHP or Yellow wagon,you know,comfortable,both feet flat on the floor,you're gonna burn some. Tripower on the other has a 421 inch,450 horse engine in his 61 that can pull 17-18 mpg on the road.