1964 Impala SS Convertible

edward figueroa

hello everyone,
I'm looking for some guidance on my 1964 Impala. Trying to see if the engine matches the VIN on the car. The only number I found was T0715D. Does anyone know how to decifer this? From what I gathered, T represents Tarrytown, NY, 0715 is July 15th. I do not know what the D means. Anyone know? Is there anywhere else on the block I can search for a VIN to see if it matches with the car's VIN number? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Ed

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
As I understand it you can not be 100 % sure of the original engine for your car with a 283. That being said what you need to do is compare the build date of the engine (July 15th) with the build date of the body. The build date of the body should be in the upper left corner of the cowl tag. See below:

64CowlTag.jpg

In the example above the third week of April. 04 = April and C = third week. Your 283 engine it should have been built a few days to a few weeks prior to the body and you could be reasonably confident it is the original engine. Somewhere around the third week of July to early August. If this is incorrect someone will step up and correct it! ;)