1964 Impala ss409 steering box

bill409mac

Hello All

My steering box is shot. In looking for a replacement, I found out they offer 2 different ones. (different number of teeth on gear).

Does anyone know the correct steering box for my car??

Thx

Bill409mac

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Hello All

My steering box is shot. In looking for a replacement, I found out they offer 2 different ones. (different number of teeth on gear).

Does anyone know the correct steering box for my car??

Thx

Bill409mac

There was one ratio when new. They have offered a fast ratio now. Do you have power or manual steering? I like the fast ratio with power steering. It might be a liitle hard with manual steering.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The ratios were different between power steering and standard. If the pitman arm is still attached to the steering box...we can identify it that way. There are not any visual differences that I know of. Post the casting number off the pitman arm and I will identify it for you.

bill409mac

Thanks for the info guys, but I understand the difference in the 2 power steering boxes is in the number of splines on the box itself to match the pitman arm. 3/4" shaft with 30 splines and 13/16" shaft with 36 splines. In any case, I'll make sure its the correct one. The ratio is 16:1 and 4 turns lock to lock on both. I didnt think it was this confussing.:dunno :dunno :dunno