1964 Impala Steering Shaft

Brent Hall

Supporting Member 2
I have a factory tilt steering, does anyone know if the intermediate shaft (the one under the hood) is the same length as a none tilt steering car.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brent,

Don't know for sure about your question, but I replaced my intermediate shaft with a colaspable one, that has an original look rag joint.. Might be an option you could look at ?

Bill

Brent Hall

Supporting Member 2
I bought one from a guy that said it was from a 64 but it is about 3/4 to long. When I bought the car the shaft had been welded together like it was to long and had to be cut.

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does your car by chance have a 605 power steering box, or other aftermarket power steering?

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Because of the 605 box you have to shorting the shaft. That explains why you other shaft has been cut.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
NO..............the 63-64 tilt lower shafts are tilt only!!! There is a "butterfly" coupling that goes below the steering column coupler and that shortens the lower shaft. The lower shafts are very hard to find.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Yes they are the same
I guess I was mistaken about the lower shaft :doh. I had taken a tilt wheel out of a 63 super sport and installed it in my 64 and did not remember taken that lower shaft out but that was many years ago. But the grand pooba knows best:bow

Brent Hall

Supporting Member 2
Thanks for all the info, I reinstalled the one that was welded, so I will be on the search for the correct length.
Thanks