1964 Posi replacement clutch pack diferences?

denson1932

Well Known Member
After dissasemby of my 1964 date code Posi, I found a Posi clutch disc with a fractured tooth so i ordered a new clutch pack kit. The original stack on either side from 'outside to in' was:
.060" tang friction plate, .095" cupped spline disc, .095" cupped belleville plate, .095"flat spline disc, .095" tang friction plate.
but the kit consists of:
.095" tang friction plate, .095" spline disc, .095" cupped belleville plate, .095"spline disc, .095" tang friction plate.
In other words the kit did not have the (2...one per side) THINNER tang plates nor the (2) CUPPED spline discs.
I referenced a 1962 Corvette handbook, plus the 1961,62,63, and 64 Chevy shop manuals..
Presently i have loosely reassembled my unit using my original thin .060 tang plates 'outboard' and eveyrthing else from the new kit....havent torqued it together yet...i now am questioning what parts to use to make it work correctly? Maybe using the all-thick tang plates in the kit would give me better Posi lock-up?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Denson1932: You will have to use, your 2 original .060 thick plates.:clap I don't know, why there's (2) extra .095 plates, that don't get used.:dunno I'm not positive, about the (2) cupped discs. I think, they should have been in the kit. Who did you buy the clutch pack from? When I rebuilt mine, maybe 7 years ago, I found out, the (2) .095 cannot be used, because it makes it hard, to tighten up the two halves, of the case. If you need to use, your (2) old cupped plates, don't worry, it's not a big deal. But, when you finally install the posi, in your car, use regular hypoid oil, with GM Limited Slip additive. If you use synthetic oil, your rear end may chatter. :doh

denson1932

Well Known Member
Thanks Skip for the good info...the kit is #6377 $93 from Showcars...i will follow your advice and use my (2) thin plates and the rest , new pieces.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good advice from Skip and Tom Parsons, who posts on Chevytalk and Chevelles.com, has some excellent posts, with pictures, on rebuilding posis and installing posi in non posi cases, if anyone needs that. On Chevytalk, there is a sticky on the 61-64 Forum but you may have to search DZAUTO to find everything. He covers stock, Eaton, and Nitro.

Don