1965 - 70 Four Arm Rear End

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have been hearing a noise when stopping lately. I listened for awhile stopping and starting and thought it was a rear upper control arm bushing. The other day I put my car on a lift and checked it out. It turned out to be coming from the upper control arm, however it wasn't the bushing. The cross brace where the arm bolts to has a few cracks around the 2 of the bolts, so when I come to a stop it makes a tick noise. The immediate fix is to drill stop holes and weld it back up. However it's a 10 bolt and a 3 arm. I was looking at a rear end from a 66 with 2 rear upper control arms. My frame is even drilled for the extra arm. The benefits are obvious and I would make sure it is a posi, and up my gears at the same time. My question is, is there any issues that I have not thought about installing a 4 arm in place of the 3 arm. Should be a direct bolt in, however I know how that goes.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had that happen on a 65 convert I had about 20 years when I dropped the clutch and the frame broke at the same spot and did it break ,the whole arm came through the frame so I took out the ten bolt had the frame re enforced and put a 12 bolt in with the 4 th link. No more problems after that. That car was a plain impala which I put a 396 and 4 speed in but neglected to swap out the weak 10 bolt.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are the shims sold in the aftermarket? I guess if needed I could make them?

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A wrecking yard close to me has about 20 65 inpalas, one of my upper arms had been bent, not sure how! when I picked up another at the yard they pulled it off while I watched and I asked for the shims that were in the car. They are specific to that arm. Pat

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks 409newby. I guess I should be looking for an arm also. I thought about going with a Hotchkis set of arms, however except the ease of adjustability, and of course less flex, not really sure I need them. I don't race this car. I just act like a kid with it, ......often. Some times I think I should have left it as a low compression 340hp. Then I go out and play, and think... time to step up further, however I mostly drive around town, cruise it, and road trips, then show off probably more than I should. What is the wrecking yard near you?