1965 chevy 409 truck engine

Joe5763

Hi I have a 1965 409 truck engine that I had rebuilt 100% a few years ago and put it in my car . I have recently taken it out of my car because I found a matching #'S engine to replace it and am wondering what it is worth.. It runs BEAUTIFuL!! It has 11,300 miles on it with NO issues... Anyone have an Idea what it is worth... Thanks Joe

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Extent of rebuild

Joe:

If you would tell us more details about what was involved in the "100% total rebuild" that would help. New pistons? Change the valves and springs? R&R the rods? Balanced reciprocating assembly? Line hone? That sort of detail.

Rebuilding an engine for some can be as simple as putting on new rings and bearings, and as complex as, well, that would take some detail :).

Also, are you running the truck distributor? What water pump? Any accessories?

Let us know and we'll try to help as best we can!

Best,
TomK

Joe5763

Hi Tom Thank you for your reply... Every internal part in the engine was replaced other than the steel crank. All pistons , rings, valves, springs, rods, bored out 60 thousands over. It was balanced by an engine rebuilding machine shop and the person that rebuilt and assembled the engine is a perfectionist that's why I had him do it. It has a car water pump because it was in my 1963 Impala SS 409. It has a high voltage distributor. The only thing,the crab and fuel pump because I used them for my new #s matching 1963 409 engine that I replaced for the 65 engine here. It has 11,300 miles on the engine and I ran this engine for a few years and I can tell you It ran beautiful!! I will be interested in finding out the value so I can sell it for a fair price Thanks again Tom.... Joe

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Comparables

Joe:

Thanks for the input. I will assume this has the 333 truck head castings, and comes without an intake or a distributor. And that the pistons were cast pistons. It would be interesting to know which pistons, and what sort of valves were used, along with bearings, etc. Let's assume good brand name stuff.

You can start with the "core cost" of those parts, then add in the machine shop costs for boring, fitting and assembling, then again for the new parts. I am assuming that you had this done, so you would know the costs. My guess is your value lies somewhere in that range.

You might begin your comparison with similar builds that might be available via a sales source such as Ebay. Generally we see engines with some degree of completeness, but often needing a total rebuild. You can start there and add in your costs, then take away a bit for wear and tear. Somebody purchasing your engine will also have to factor in the cost to transport it.

Just out of curiosity, you note that you have located the "numbers matching" engine for your '63. There must be a story behind that one, we'd love hear it!

Best,
TomK