1965 Clutch pedals

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
This question is most likely aimed at someone with a Hollander. I am trying to figure out if clutch pedals, linkage, etc, from a 67 SS will work in a 65. My friend is switching his 65 over to a 4-speed and I've located a 67 SS parts car that still has the clutch pedals. Any help would be great!!
Ross

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
'65 to '70 all the same

Ross,
Those '67 parts will fit the '65, no problem. Just ensure that you snag ALL of the parts that you are going to need for such a conversion. :doh

The short list includes:

1) pedals and linkages
2) transmission cross-member
3) Z-Bar
4) driveshaft
5) shifter

I hope your buddy has a stock bell housing and a Muncie trans too, otherwise he is going to have to fork out more $$$ to do this conversion.

Lastly, dont forget two VERY IMPORTANT things when doing a 4-speed conversion.

1) It is good practice to re-balance the reciprocating assembly with the new flywheel that he instends to use. Too often guys will swap off the flex plate with a neutral balanced flywheel and then wonder why there is a tortional vibration problem when the RPMs go over 1500. :scratch
I know, I know ... it may happen, it may not... Having lost on that gamble once before, I would make the additional investment !

2) PILOT BUSHING ON THE END OF THE CRANK !!!!!!!!! otherwise clutch chatter baby!!!

Good Luck!

Rock :cool:

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the help, Rock!!! I don't think he's planning on rebuilding the engine, so I don't know how all that will turn out with the flywheel. Hopefully OK. Its just a stock 250 hp 327, by no means a hot rod engine.

Is the crossmember truly different on a manual trans car? Is is a height issue? Will the one from the 67 work? Will the driveshaft need to be modified? Would the 67 shaft work (if its still there)?

He's starting from scratch on this project so it won't be cheap. Good muncies are getting tough to find and expensive!

Thanks again!!

Ross

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Place your bets...

Ross,
Maybe your buddy will have no vibration problems at all... :dunno

AT THE VERY LEAST, inspect it and ensure that the flexplate hasn't had additional material added to it or removed from it. The removed material will look like a series of dime shaped lesions that are cut into the surface of the ring gear in order to remove metal. If the flexplate is virgin, then a neutral balance flywheel should work OK without creating additional vibration headaches for you :cuss

The driveshafts are different length. So, if you can get the one out of that '67

TAKE IT WITH YOU :brow

Crossmember geometeries are different also. You need that too and YES it is interchangable.

That low horse 327 crank may or may not have a machined provision in it for a pilot bushing, Im not sure. If it doesnt, then the engine is going to have to come appart anyways. If your buddy side steps this issue, then tell him not to complain to you about the 'chatter' he gets every time he lets out the clutch in first gear.

AND You may also want to double check that 327 block to ensure that it has a good stud boss for the "Z" shaft ball to screw into.

Like with all car related things, its the little things that can get ya!

Rock :cool: