1965 impala ss convertible

rickiie

Supporting Member 1
i need some help just changed my convertible top pump, cylinders, and hoses. bled system like it says in the instructions but every time i operate the top in either direction a breaker of sometype blows and stops operation of top after a few seconds it comes back on and lets me resume operating top i don't know where this breaker is located. or is there something i'm missing i used atf fluid like the manufacterer said can someone give me any ideas

aloha Rick Hayes

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 64'Impala convertible has a breaker of some type.It is located underneath the drivers side kick panel where the air vent is .The unit is mounted next to the door.I'm not real positive how this works.You may have a dead short in the wiring,causing it to kick. John

Old School

Supporting Member 1
i need some help just changed my convertible top pump, cylinders, and hoses. bled system like it says in the instructions but every time i operate the top in either direction a breaker of sometype blows and stops operation of top after a few seconds it comes back on and lets me resume operating top i don't know where this breaker is located. or is there something i'm missing i used atf fluid like the manufacterer said can someone give me any ideas

aloha Rick Hayes

Aloha!

Just a few questions:

When it does run, is the top moving like it should, or is it laboring?

When you first ran the pump with empty lines, how many times did to refill the tank before it started to move?

Did you replace the cylinders?

Was it popping the beaker before you replaced the motor?

Was it a new motor/pump or did you rebuild it?

There is a breaker behind the drivers kick panel. They seldon fail.

Mick

rickiie

Supporting Member 1
Just Found The Problem

i Allowed Entirely To Much Air To Enter The System after I Removed The Filler Plug With Top In The Down Position I Added A Little More Fluid Left The Filler Plug Out And Then Raised The Top, It Blew The Breaker But Almost Ran Through Its Complete Cycle. I Lowereed Top Again After A Few Seconds And It Went All The Way Down. The Filler Plug Still Left Out. There Is No Pressure In The Resevoir I Checked Fluid Level And Add A Little More Continueing To Leave The Filler Plug Out I Let The System Set For About An Hour. With The Filler Plug Still Left Out I Raised The Top And Now Its Working Perfect. I Only Placed The Filler Plug Back On After The Top Was Lowered. My Mistake But Thankyou Both For Your Quik Replys

Aloha Rick Hayes

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Great!

You can leave the cap off until you are finished filling it.. Don't be surpised if you fill it up four times while cycling the top up and down getting all the air out of the lines.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep,when I redid my top, motor and cylinders it took me 5 times filling the motor up.I little tip,when you fill the motor with the ATF,I use a old cookie sheet under the motor to catch the overflow.The tranny fluid will definetely eat into your paint,and oh what a lousy mess it makes. John

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Yep,when I redid my top, motor and cylinders it took me 5 times filling the motor up.I little tip,when you fill the motor with the ATF,I use a old cookie sheet under the motor to catch the overflow.The tranny fluid will definetely eat into your paint,and oh what a lousy mess it makes. John

Too late for me...I had a fitting leak and what a mess that was 'cause the spare tire made a little dam and I didn't see it.
Robert
I was able to fix it up pretty decent so Phil didn't notice when he saw the car!!!!!!