1965 trunk lis difference

fastcars

Well Known Member
A long while back I asked about the difference in trunk sizes here: http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12309 . I bought a 4 door 65 for parts for my conv. The 4dr has no post seperating the doors...not sure if thats a hard top or sedan. I tried swaping the trunk lids from my 4dr to the conv, and the 4dr trunk is just a little too long front to back. On the previous post, someone stated that the trunks on a 4 door sedan and 4 door hardtop are different. Can someone confirm this? Is there a part number stamped on the trunk lid and where is it if its stamped?

bobs409

Administrator
I'm looking at my Hollanders and they only list 2 lids. 1966 2 door hardtop and exc. 2 door hardtop. :dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Doh! :doh I guess I'll try again. :D

For 1965 there are 3:

Biscayne & Belair is one. Impala 2 door hardtop is two. Exc. 2 door hardtop is three.

Not sure exactly what they mean. :?

fastcars

Well Known Member
Some guy is selling a 4 door trunk on ebay. This is the question and reply I recieved from him.:Q. is this car a 4dr hard top or sedan. Does it have a post? I just bought a 4dr without the post and the trunk from that car didnt fit my 65 conv and i need to buy one that fits.

A. this IS the correct one for the convertible

this car has POST

the non post cars have a different roof line and back window area,making the non post trunk lids different,and will not fit the conv

conv and post 4dr trunk lids are the same on the impalas..... END>\

I'm not sure what to think at this point. Maybe he just wants to sell it and is just saying that. Might be easier if someone had a 4dr post car in Sacramento that I can test my trunk lid on. Any Ideas?

wbc409

Well Known Member
I believe you need to find the trunk lid from a 2dr hardtop/sedan to fit your convertible. I believe the Impalas were all hard tops. Your wasting your time with trunk lids from 4drs.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Chevy did not make a 4dr hardtop Impala car in 65. If it is a 4dr hardtop, then it is a Caprice.

Any 2dr sedan or 4dr sedan (post) Impala only deck lid will fit the 65 Impala Convertible.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I checked my HOLLANDER and: #745 4461753 Chev pass '65 Impala 2 Dr H. T. #743 (1) 4439520 Bel Air & Biscayne (2) 4439521 Impala exc. 2 Dr H.T. note: (1) & (2) interchange by including lamps, Impala has 4 lamps, Bel Air and Biscayne have 2 lamps. Chev Pass. '65 exc. Impala 2 Dr H.T. IT appears that the Impala 2 Dr HT. (conv.??) takes its own trunk lid. This info. is exactly as it appears in the HOLLANDER interchange manual. Leo

65FO-OH-9

4 door hardtop Impalas.

I have one on those ( Impala 4 dr hartop. ) The only Trunk lids you can use on
Covertible is The 2 door Hartop ones. I've tried to use 4 dr hartop/posts & they are different size/angle. Windshield glass is also a swap problem...

fastcars

Well Known Member
i just took some pictures of my 65 4dr impala. It's definetely an Impala and not a caprice. I also took some pictures of the trunk lid and measured it. I got 41 1/2 inches. Anyone out there with a conv 65 that can measure their trunk for me?

Attachments

• 41 half.jpg
    41 half.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 33
  • trunk lid.jpg
    trunk lid.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 39
  • trunk lid measure.jpg
    trunk lid measure.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 65 impala 4dr doors.jpg
    65 impala 4dr doors.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 65 impala 4dr.jpg
    65 impala 4dr.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 43

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i just took some pictures of my 65 4dr impala. It's definetely an Impala and not a caprice. I also took some pictures of the trunk lid and measured it. I got 41 1/2 inches. Anyone out there with a conv 65 that can measure their trunk for me?

Nonetheless, only sedan deck lids will work for a convertible.

Like I said, Chevy did not make a 4dr hardtop Impala. The 1965 Caprice 4dr hardtop does look like an impala though.

1965-chevrolet-caprice-pic-37234.jpeg

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
you sure?

I thought Chevy made the Impala Custom in 65, a 4dr ht. A Caprice body and roof without the custom interior. Maybe it was a different year I was thinking about.

65FO-OH-9

4 door Hardtop Impala Brochure...

Funny. Chevrolet has a 4 door Hardtop on front page of 1965 Brochure --->
And '65 Caprice 4 door Hardtop came out mid year - same time as new 396
engine. My dad got one of the first when I was 8.

Brochure Link:

http://www.carhobby.com/65cSBf.jpg
:scratch

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The parts book shows three trunk lids for 65 full size cars. Part number 4439520 was used on the Biscayne sedan. Part number 4439521 was used on the convertible and Impala sedan. Part number 4461753 was used on the Sport Coupe model.

Bill

65FO-OH-9

The parts book shows three trunk lids for 65 full size cars. Part number 4439520 was used on the Biscayne sedan. Part number 4439521 was used on the convertible and Impala sedan. Part number 4461753 was used on the Sport Coupe model.

Bill

Bill,
Thats great information to have. The windshield glass is different on the Sedans and hartops too. Found that out the hard way!:bang

fastcars

Well Known Member
maybe someone can shed light on this. I posted pictures of my 4dr. I called it a hardtop but I really dont know what it is called... is it a coupe or sedan? Are the coupe and sedan trunk lids different sizes? Yesterday I went to some guys house that was selling a trunk lid that he claimed came directly off a convertible. I measured it and was the same as my 4dr but when I asked why he doesnt use it on his convertible he said he wanted to use all the original parts that came with his conv car from the factory so I cant really confirm that the lid he was selling came off a convertible.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
maybe someone can shed light on this. I posted pictures of my 4dr. I called it a hardtop but I really dont know what it is called... is it a coupe or sedan? Are the coupe and sedan trunk lids different sizes? Yesterday I went to some guys house that was selling a trunk lid that he claimed came directly off a convertible. I measured it and was the same as my 4dr but when I asked why he doesnt use it on his convertible he said he wanted to use all the original parts that came with his conv car from the factory so I cant really confirm that the lid he was selling came off a convertible.

Yours is a 4 dr hardtop. Here is a picture of a 4dr sedan (Post). This is what you need to get your trunk lid off of.

car085.jpg

fastcars

Well Known Member
I just found a 65 4 dr biscayne for $500. It looks just like the 4dr impala picture that Brian Thompson put up for me. I know it only has 2 lights on the trunk lid but will the trunk lid dimensions fit on the convertible? I'll be welding the other 2 light holes on the lid.

Attachments

• belair.jpg
    belair.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 28