1965 trunk lis difference

bobs409

Administrator
WOW! Those cars are definetly in a southern state. Look at that 65, not a rot hole to be found!

I like that Camaro behind it too. :deal

Yours is a 4 dr hardtop. Here is a picture of a 4dr sedan (Post). This is what you need to get your trunk lid off of.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Chevy did not make a 4dr hardtop Impala car in 65. If it is a 4dr hardtop, then it is a Caprice.

Any 2dr sedan or 4dr sedan (post) Impala only deck lid will fit the 65 Impala Convertible.
1965 Impala 4-door hardtops:
4351202169_f52ee30079.jpg e6e2307898d44734eb48c63e3a8c298c.jpg
IMG_1468.jpg IMG_1476.jpg
IMG_1474.jpg

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Chevy did make a 65 Caprice. For years I didn't think so, however I have seen them personally.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For years not from my condo sat a faded worn out gold '65 Caprice sedan, 327. I was just replying to the comment Chevy never produced a 4-door hardtop Impala in 1965 with proof with pics that they indeed did. I owned a aqua '65 four door hardtop Impala no post with a 327 (loved that car) so I was scratching my head on his comment.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh the 65 caprices made a awesome parts car back in the day as they shared the same allusive rear trim and where usually loaded with options and big motors, really wish I hadn't done that back in the day.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
1965 Caprice option was Z-18 and was an option on the Bel Air Air Model line. Probably introduced later in the production year as the specs were amended Feb, 65 to include the Caprice.
Model 163-16439 was a Bel Air 4 door hardtop with the Caprice Z-18 option.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Well, at least no-one is trying to convince readers that RPO Z-18 could be had with a 409... because they never did. Although I have heard that argument too some years ago.

The Caprice in '65 was more of an interior upgrade than it was anything else. Grille and tail end treatments were 16637 SuperSport pieces as were the wheel covers. The only difference there were the wheel cover medallions. 16637 cars had SS medallions, Caprices had bowtie medallions.

I was always wondered why Chevy did not use the 16637 instrumentation cluster on the left side of the dash.

Standard fuel guage with idiot lights on the the left side pod with a clock on the right side pod is how they came

The real changes came in '66 when Caprice replaced SuperSport as Chevy's top, read expensive, model.

Last edited:

63 Biscayne

Well Known Member
Getting back to the trunk lids, I have a lid off a 1965 Impala 2-door and a lid off a Biscyane or Bel Air (only one light each side ), the Impala lid:cheers is longer.