1997 vortec Chevy -880 block waterpump bypass?

denson1932

Well Known Member
i bought a econo shortblock for $300...std bore with fresh crosshatch, new rings, bearings, 010 010 crank, stock cam and roller lifters..i want to add ebay 64cc aluminum heads but need info on drilling the water bypass hole on rt side block.... does anyone make a drill jig for the angled hole on block deck downward to the water pump connection?
and no i won't just drill holes in the thermostat.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Drilling that block will likely cause more problems than it solves.Your solution could be solved by using an intake manifold by using one that uses the 4 corner cooling and plumbing it to the thermostat.I've routinely blocked this bypass area in older blocks and have never had any kind of problem. I know of no jig to drill those later blocks.

denson1932

Well Known Member
thanks Don for the advice....i agree looks kinda dicey to drill and possibly ruin a perfectly good block so probably i don't do that ....i had spotted the Edelbrock 2701 intake for only $124 new..but unfortunately it only has the extra water taps in the front.
Also the stock pistons in this -880 block (1997 Vortec 350 Chevy from C1500 pickup) have about a .070" deep X 3" dia. dish. perhaps if i add 64CC heads i will have a low compression combination? should i change the search to look for 58cc heads?

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With this set up,if you pay attention to details like quench distance,you'll wind up with 9.3-9.4-1[64 ccs] compression.As to the intake,look at the lower priced imported intakes as most of them use a 4 outlet set up.Try to find a Performer EPS look alike .Summit and Jegs have them.What is this engine going in.Now would be a good time for a slight cam upgrade. If you're going to use aftermarket aluminum heads,the only head that has small chambers is a head that Trick-Flow makes that has 56cc chambers.These would put you a little over 10.2 on your short block.

denson1932

Well Known Member
Don thanks again... that 9.3:1 CR is perfect for me...the engine probably for a '62 Belair 4-door with 700R and 3.55 or 3.70 gears, or a TH350 and 308 gears either way with 2.35-70-15 or 2.35-75 tires. looking for torque on the highway and some HP for occasional blast of fun.

Attachments

• DSCF2945.JPG
    DSCF2945.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 7

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Change that cam to a zz4 cam or at the very least,the cam that's in the HT383 and the Ramjet 350 crate engines.At the compression ratio that you should have here,it should run good on 87 octane.If you haven't bought the heads yet,take a very close look at the Vortec head. Bang for the buck,these heads are hands down the best out there.With the above mentioned cam[not the zz4],you wouldn't have to change valve springs.As to the trans./rear deal,I vote for the 700r4/3.70 gear package as the most overall fun.

denson1932

Well Known Member
more pixs here...may have to sell the '57 Starchief to finance 'old red dog'

Attachments

• DSCF2948.JPG
    DSCF2948.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF2949.JPG
    DSCF2949.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF2950 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF2950 - Copy.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF2953.JPG
    DSCF2953.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF2954.JPG
    DSCF2954.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF2955.JPG
    DSCF2955.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 20

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You have one of the very best blocks to use for a very stout small block right there.380 hp.great all around torque on a shoe string is what a ZZ4 cam,Vortec heads,an EPS style intake,a 625 Street Demon or a 650 AVS2 Edelbrock along with a set of Headman headers and you're there for very little money.In fact,you could duplicate it starting with a new long block L-31 assembly for less than 3,000 using all brand new Chevrolet parts .

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
We build thousands of the 880 blocks every year and never drill that bypass out. The only time we care about it is for a marine application, then it's required.