1st ANNUAL 348-409.com CONVENTION

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
As my father-in-law used to say...S**T OR GET OFF THE POT!!

Been out of town for the last 2 days with my wife's family....got a lot of windshield time in and haven't slept good the last 2 nights....been thinkin'!!! Here is one person's vision of a BIG GET TOGETHER!! I am offering, please I need some help too!!, to try to get this function off and rolling.

We don't need another event to tie into...we can be a stand alone function all our own!! I don't think it would be too hard to get 100 cars. More on that later.

PREMISE: The first get together of the 348-409 gearheads. All persons with any interest in these engines are welcome. This will be a laid back fuction with show & shine time, racin' and meeting members and hopefully some famous people.

WHERE: Kansas City, MO. Kansas City is geographically located in the center of the country, both north & south and east & west. This would be the fairest place to start with an event like this. It could revolve to some where on the east coast next year and the west coast the year after that. Then back to the midwest. In order to make this first function successful, a central location would hopefully minimize most of the travel time and expenses.

WHEN: In order to catch the best possible weather, I would suggest the 2nd, 3rd or 4th weekends in September. It would still be warm then..maybe even hot, but to wait until October, we would be taking a real chance on inclemenmt weather possibilities. We hopefully don't want to spend all the time necessay to get here and have it rain all weekend.

ACCOMODATIONS: I would contact the Embassy Suites. It is located on I-29 and is only 5 minutes from the airport. It's parking lot is large enough to handle 100+ cars and the trucks and trailers nessary to get them here. That will also provide all the rooms and banquet facilities for the host hotel. The Embassy has held Late Great conventions before and just had the MO State Harley Davidson HOG rally so they are in tune with our needs.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS: Thursday would be check in and registration day. No scheduled activities....just Meet and Greet...all day and all night!! Friday would be Show & Shine Day. Fill the parking lot and bench race all day. Friday night would be our banquet night. Guests and registered members would have a banquet room at the Embassy with a program of some sorts to follow dinner. Saturday, I would leave open. It would be a combination of more Show & Shine for those that want to and a day at the drag strip for all the others. We have KCIR here in town and I'm assuming they would still be racing in Sept. By leaving this day open, everyone can feel free to do as they please. By having the banquet on Friday night, Saturday evening would be left open for whatever!! KC is famous for it's steaks and restaurants. We're also known for our bar-b-que if that is to your liking. There would possibly be a cruise going on somewhere in town. Also, some members may have to depart on Saturday to be home by Sunday evening. Sunday...nothing on the schedule except exchanging address and phone numbers and saying good-bye!! Being the first event, I have not tried to schedule any"work shops" or formal meetings. It would be my intent to have a low-key 3 days and then we can expand from there next time.

JUDGING: NOT!!!! I can't imagine this group being into judging!! Having the best trailed 62 fullsize or the best detailed engine compartment doesn't seem appropriate!! This is just a get together to have FUN. But I feel all paid participants should go home with a trophy or plaque for their support and attendance. Remember all the posts about trophies several weeks ago?? Something like "Particpant of the 1st annual 349-409 National Convention". Something the great grandchilden can ask...what is this??!!! This should not be competitive judging!!

EXTRA ACTIVITIES: Kansas City has alot to offer. The Plaza was the world's very first shopping district..it's beautiful. I know several of you ride Harleys. The brand new Harley Davidson Assembly Plant is located 5 minutes from the Embassy Suites. They give a plant tour that is something to see!! All Sportster and Dyna models are built here. They ship in the engines & transmissions, tires & seats and build everything else from scratch!! Very impressive. Also have Kansas Speedway, our Nascar track to drive by. Depending on the different schedules, the Kansas City Royals may be playing baseball or The Kansas City Chiefs, fresh from their Super Bowl win next Feb!!!!!!!!!!!, may have a home game that weekend.

MEMBERS & GUESTS: This event would be open to anyone that pays their registration fee. You would not have to be a member of 348-409.com. I bet we will be amazed how many new members sign up before the convention!! Anyone and any vehicle with a 348 or 409 engine would be allowed to display their vehicle in our area. Not to be confusing...if you have a nice 62 SS with a 283......this is not the event to bring your car to!!! Start a small block club if you want to do that!! I have friend here in town building a 32 F*** street rod with a 409. I also got a picture about 2 months ago of a 409 in a TRIKE!! Any guest can register to attend the banquet and functions even if they do not have a car or 348-409 engine, as long as they pay the registration fees.

INVITED GUESTS: Having the privilege of knowing all these people, I would call to invite the following: Hayden Proffitt...nothing more need to be said about what he has accomplished for the 409's and drag racing. Delmer McAfee...he built the replica red 62 bubbletop car of Hayden's. Hayden and the car were together last in 1989 at Dallas Super Chevy in my space. Here would be your chance not only to meet Hayden, but get a picture with him and YOU and the car!!!! Doug Marion..Mr. Chevrolet...has more knowledge of Chevrolet than any one peoson I've ever met. Doug was the original editor of Super Chevy magazine and invented the idea of Super Chey Sunday. Doug can't guarantee coverage in Chevy Rumble but if you are a bettin' man...get ready!! There might be enough material for a 2 or 3 part article!! Tom Jacobson and his Pro-Mod 62 bubbletop. Doesn't have a 409 engine in the pro-mod car but Tom's legacy with 409's is well known. His 62 Biscayne, that he bought from Butch Leal, with the Hayden Proffitt & Assoc. stickers on the doors, is in the NHRA Drag Racing Museum in Pomona. I have a customer who has 3 immaculate Z-11 cars...2 63's and the THE Dickey Harrell 62 with the aluminum front end that is shown in the POST about Dickey Harrell on this site. The 2 63's are the Terry Prince car and the Frank Sanders S&S Headers car. Don't know if all 3 can be here but it's worth a try!! Plus, Donnie Shaffer and his 348 and 409 collection would be invited!! What I would be shooting for with these guests, would be a question and answer session after the Friday evening banquet. Plus they would hopefully be around for the Friday and Saturday sessions for more meet and greet.

COSTS & FEES: Now, for the dirty part of the whole thing. We can't ask these people to give us 4 to 7 days of their life without some type of financial aid. So I am proposing AN ESTIMATED registration fee of $100 per person. That person can bring a car or not...as long as he attends the function and the banquet, he pays the $100. Spouses would be an extra $15 only if they wanted to attend the banquet.

I believe that we can draw 100 cars or "persons". By persons, I would encourage EVERYBODY, that can not take the time to drive, to please fly in and attend. This will only be successful if we have enough attend. Everyone on the coasts, Aubrey and our Canadian friends, truck409 in Delta Junction, Alaska can help make this event successful by their attendance. I am basing the cost of the $100 regristration on 100 paid attendance. I would go to the local Late Great chapter and let them know that all their "qualifing" vehicles would be welcome. I really think that 150 to 200 cars would not be unreasonable.

I have not spoken to any of the people on my list buy I feel comfortable that they would do their best to attend. Having said that, here are some costs associated with the transporation and lodging expenses. Hayden..probably $3000..his wife's health is not good and if he attends, a 24hour a day nurse will have to be provided for the time he is away. Delmer, Doug and Tom will probably run $1000 with either gas and mileage or airline tickets. All should be provided a motel room.

I am estimating the banquet or buffet dinner at $15 per head. I might be all wet on that but it's a start. The trophies for 100 might run $15 a piece also. Adding this all up...I'm at $9000 to put the event on. With 100 paid participants at $100...that's $10,000. There should be some type of Event Insurance and there will be some advertising expense and all types of stuff I don't even know yet. Now if we have a turn out of 200...we'd be in tall cotton. But if we don't ....the costs will still be $10,000. I'm certainly not looking to make a profit on all this, but I can't afford to subsudize it either.

MANDATORY ATTENDANCE: Good ole Bob, our beloved administrator. Bob...a way MUST BE FOUND for you to be here. For 3 reasons....First, without you, we wouldn't even be here today to discuss the idea of a National Convention!! Secondly, it will give you an opportunity to meet personally ALL these internet friends you have had for years!! As well as they getting the chance to meet you!! THAT is important!! Thirdly, you can explain to everyone why in the world, you choose to put a 409 into a 66 Chevelle!!!! Why not a 56 Nash Metropolitian (my choice) or a 62 Impala???!!! You can not NOT BE A PART OF THIS!!

CRIPES!!! My original message is too long!! Gotta go. Will post my final thoughts later tonight

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I Simply Love IT!!!! Count me in on this one Phast Phil. On sleeping arrangements...I expect a suite at Chez Reed's!

Hell, I might even bring my 409 in. Six-banger Impala SS if this thing works out. Lookout downtown Parkville!

LOL

P.S. I will be happy to help out

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil,,,,

It all sounds like it is doable !!

I like the time change and the place doesn`t matter to me,,,

I know I`ll be a couple days early to settle in ,,,,

I WOULD recommend that Satuday events be held at the drag track to keep the cars in one location,,,
The show only cars and race cars can be parked in one group to simplify the viewing for the spectators,,,

I know I`ll be racing and parking to watch others race,,,,

the viewing public would (IMO) love to gander at the race cars also!

Also no reason to split the event. YA can`t be in two places at once,,,,

Even if there is an event going on at the track I`m sure they would love to have us,,,,

Now that I`m thinking about it,,,,,I think the banquet should be held as early as posible,,,,so we can cruz the town before it gets to late,,,,,

All in all sounds good to me,,,,,dq:cheers

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil -

Thank you. This is a very good framework upon which to build.

KC is fine with me. Dates are better because of weather which will affect everyone. Commemorative trophys (not dash plaques) are a great idea. Better than a Wally. Thank you for no judging. If you want to make otherwise nice people get freaky, judge their cars. Schedule is a comfortable one. A lot of people get upset at a registration fee and there may be a way to reduce it (see below), but this is different enough that they just have to bite the bullet. You are right on target as far as costs. We have a year to save up.

So far we have 15 people on the forum that are committed to coming. Other forums, flyers we can hand out at our local shows, magazine event schedules and word of mouth will get more, but 200 cars may be rich. I like thinking big however and if we shoot for that, it could happen. I know a couple of 409 guys locally that might be interested.

Would you agree that Lamar Walden and whoever he can get would be a good choice? He said he'd do a seminar and there'd be a reasonable fee.

Would anyone object to my contacting Dain Gingerelli (PriMedia) to see if he'd like to cover the show?

Do we want to have vendors of our type of stuff? If yes, anyone on the forum gets their space for free and maybe even some cash to help them get there? If the show gets big and we woo vendors, that can almost pay for the whole thing.

Now here we go. I don't like to say things or name names because things rarely happen as planned. But if I could get Budweiser to sponsor, does anyone object for any reason? Don't be shy. They would be trusting my word that this was going to be worth their while and it may still be a long shot at that. Possible media coverage would make it more attractive to them. But it could sure help with the $$$$ part.

Attached is a picture of a show I helped produce here. Started with about 50 cars and grew to over 500 which was the limit downtown could hold. Over 20,000 spectators year before last. Sponsorship made all the difference. Cost $12,000 to $13,000 to produce including four bands. I would not recommend live bands because it gets too confusing and is a terrible management problem. You never get to enjoy your own show if it gets complicated and bands can do that quickly. A DJ with their own equipment is a much better choice. You just write the check and they take care of the rest. You might notice the sponsor was Miller. Coors is brewed in Golden. Coors refused every year to help us out. I grew up with Pete, I did not ask him personally and he did not interfere with his PR people and they never climbed on board, but they regretted it more and more as it grew and Miller made back nearly all of their money in beer sales. Plus the local and national advertising for them was therefore free. Several car magazines, TV and newspaper. I might add that Coors finally had a hand in killing this show after last summer. They knew they missed out and they were not gentlemen about it. So Bud watched this happen and understands that a good show is much to their benefit. I'm not promising anything, but unless there are objections, and like I said - don't hold back if there are, then I'll ask.

Attachments

• b&d small.jpg
    b&d small.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 683

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Phil

Convention ideas that I support! Kansas City, Middle of Sept., Sat. events in one location, A cruise, Fri. or Sat., No judging, Banquet, A window decal, First invited guest-Administrator Bob. Count me in.

Phil, that was HUGE:cheers
September IS better... a little cooler... bugs are mostly gone, and typically the weather is dry.
Also, as DQ said... I think it would be a plan to have the guys showing cars to be in the pits with the guys drag racing on Saturday. I've been to a few LGC conventions. LOTS of W blocks there ( not a problem to see over 30 ).... BUT ...... it's just a big car show. What entices me is the drag racing :D

Guess I'll just have to find a way to afford it !

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The Kansas City GoodGuys event is scheduled for the weekend of Sept. 24-26th next fall. Don't know if that's a concern to you event planners or not.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Convention

Aubrey, think-----business=write off! Doesn't mean for sure business, just prospective business. Write off! Deductible! Free! Paid by Revenue Canada! Write off!

You can do it. Same goes for Bob. T Shirt sales! Business! write off!

That all counts if it's your main business. Aubrey, should be a shew in!

Hope to see you and Bob there. All else aside, no kidding. Would like to see all on here there.

Fred

bobs409

Administrator
Maybe you guys should do some promotional T-shirts for this event to help raise funds! They would be collectable with the year on them too. :D

I can see one or two on ebay 10 years from now going for $50! LOL

I can't be there but im behind ya's all the way. :cheers

hey Fred... SURE it's a write off.... But I have to HAVE the money to write off !
Oh YEAH.... a "shew" in ! Trouble is, this lowly "tiny-buck" Canadian has holes in his "shews":p

Bob
Bob
BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No BOB ? !

Then why are we doing this ?

Bob... If I can make the 2400 mile ( one way ) trip... so can you:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
YEH BOB !!!!

1793.31 miles for me,,,,26hr 53 mins !!!
But I know I can make it in 20 hrs flat !!! heee heeeee

OPPS!!! Lets see,,,,, Firebird in Boise,,,,,Rocky Mountain Racway,,,Then their`s Colorado and Iowa and ,,,,,and ,,,,,

Boy ,,,I better leave in August !!!! LOL !!!,,,dq

AND YES !!! SHIRTS ARE A MUST !!!!

bobs409

Administrator
Now don't get them started again Aubrey! :D

I'll have to lock my doors starting a week before this event or dq is liable to show up and try to haul me off!!! :p

bobs409

Administrator
I'll buy a shirt! Who do I send payment to?

Im starting to get worried...:( I don't want to go to Kansas City in the trunk of dq's Impala! :D

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK, Bob, then these are your choices. Inside Ray's tow car, Inside my P/U tow truck, or on the trailer. A year from now, Bob.

Aubrey, I'm with you. When I was in business, that was all I always heard. " You can write this off". Kept telling them I was looking for write ONS. The write on is necessary to do the write off. The write on should also exceed the write off by a good amount.

As for mileage, it's only 2400 when you start out. Like when I went to California in 65, it was 2400 miles to start, but after we got to Amarillo, Texas, it was only 1200 miles. :rolleyes:

I would also think you could pick up some business.

Bob, be there!

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob,,,,,,I`ve helped move houses before so go ahead !!! Lock the doors !!!

Just make sure you don`t step out til we get to KC !!!

HEEEEEEE hEEEEEEE

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK I'm in, no matter where it is at and no matter when. Just as long as it includes drag racing. Car shows are ok but these cars represent the true nature of taking the family car out and racing the snot out of it and then driving it to work the next day. I'll help in any way and $100 bucks is not bad as long as it includes the whole smear. $15 for my wife ain't bad, I can't feed her for that.:D Roy
P.S. Don't we know somebody close to Bob who can slip him a mickey and he wakes up in KC. Bob is one of the most important people of this whole thing.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Another option

Bob, you've just got to be there. No if, ands or buts. Put the date on your calendar. If other options don't work we will pass the hat and fly your PA butt out here to the midwest. I mean it!

I will personally pick you up at either the KC or St. Louis airport if need be and drive you to the event. I'll even let you drive a little :) If the best filght is to St. Louis from PA, I will pick you up in my '63 'Vette and drive you to Columbia, MO where you can choose which car to drive to KC, the '62SS with a "CPG stroker 409" or some other choice (it will be a Chevy with an "X" frame and a "W" engine, as specified by Phil Reed). But you must come. I mean it. Don't disappoint us in this first of many annual feature events. I promise not to talk about technology or the Internet....

Bob, mark your calendar. Block it off right now. We will take care of the details.

And Michael (TMracing), remember that if it's "pulled by horses", I most likely have had it in keg form, case form, or 6 pack, and that AB out of St. Louis would be a fine sponsor to this event :)

Let the plans continue with our fearless leader out in front!

Cheers,
TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
CONVENTION

Sorry I wasn't able to get back last Sunday night. Had to rush out...if any of you saw the football game on ESPN Sunday night...you saw my wife and I in the stands. We were the ones in the red coats!!!!!!!! MY Kansas City Chiefs are 8 and 0!!!!!!!! We are really excited about hopefully being in Houston Feb. 1!!!!!!!! That's a whole different subject.

I think we need to address something here before we go too far. We need a agreement of what is to be expected for the convention. If we are to proceed with any plans, I feel we need to decide what we really want.

Please go back to my original post and note what I said under the Premise part. I got the feeling after reading all the posts, that the most important thing was to get together to meet each other and see the cars. Anyone who was, or was not a member, is welcome as long as they had an interest in the 348-409 engines or had a vehicle with a 348-409 engine. As the owner of a mail-order business, a MAJOR drawback is that you don't get to meet more than 5% of your customers. As you develop friendships, it's hard not wanting to get to meet each other face to face. I can see this happening already here. Look at the posts; Bob has to be here, does Aubrey really think he can't be here, does TomK really use those big words in everyday conversation, everyone wants to see Roy when he pees in his pants.....it goes on and on. As I stated, there are many of the members I would love to have time to meet and talk with. This proposed get-together IS ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE AND THEIR CARS. It will be a 3 day event especially for us.

Now, having said that, we need to decide what we really want. But we need to address what Michael (tmracing62) has posted. I know he has been a valued and trusted member of this forum for a long time. I have not. He has experience on putting on a "car show". I do not. But there are major differences in these 2 perspectivies. The proposal is for big corporate sponsors and possible media coverage. If we have a 3 day event....one day at the hotel and another day at the track, I can't imagine any beer sponser who would want a split venue. And are their additional liabilities if beer is sold at the event? And this is my own personal thought....I don't care if 20,000 people show up. It will only detract us from what we are wanting to do.....meet and get to know each other for the first time. From what I have seen posted here, that is the main goal of this event. After we get this thing off and running, maybe we could attract more sponsors. As far as sponsors are concerned, I would be more comfortable approaching some of the manufacturers that we buy from to help. They would had a more vested interest in our event.

Michael's success with his event, as I see it, was predicated on 3 main things: the car show is probably the same time every year, there is a direct and immediate benefit to the local merchants for hosting the event, and with "everyone" welcome to participate...the show continues to grow. You can see by the picture that it is successful. But it has to have all local people show up to grow. We are a national club and don't have that capability. I don't feel that we can offer those 3 things to any city or sponser. In fact, with the possibility of this event being moved around to different parts of the country, that might be to our benefit also.

Michael suggested speakers.......that should not be a problem. We can try to arrange for a meeting room in the hotel. Certainly Lamar would be welcome as any person who would want to put on a seminar on a subject that would be of interest to us. Aubrey could put on one about his pistons and rearends!! And I'm sure a swap meet is possible also.

Having said all this, there was not any intention on my part to direct anything at Michael personally for his idea. In fact, many of you may have the same idea. If so, let it be known now. Jump in and let us know.

I have some new information on KCIR drag strip. But this post is too long so I'll start another one.

Phil

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
CONVENTION DRAG STRIP

KUDOS TO TomO!!!!!

Received an email from TomO yesterday with the name of his friend who manages a Heads UP Drag Racing series at Kansas City Internation Raceway!!! I called him and when I explained what we wanted to do...he got all excited!!

This Heads Up racing is for street cars only. An individual ownes the series and when he runs it, he just leases the whole track. Brent said he would love to have us. An area in the pits, behind the grandstands, would be designated for the show cars while the race cars could pit across the access road. He said costs were $10 per person and a car and driver was $20. This is there standard fee for Grudge Night races. I asked, if we let them use our function in their advertising, if we could get a break in the prices. He said probably...like $20 for car and driver and 1 extra person. Something to work out later.

The track this year has all been replaced!! New concrete for 330 feet and new asphalt after that. So it should be good to go. I personally been to the track in 15-20 years but I'll go back and see whats happening.

As far as the schedule, the 2nd weekend of September has the Car Craft & Street Car Nationals in Springfield, MO. Brent tells me they have a tremendous turnout and probably wouldn't want to do it that weekend. He would lose all his gate. Then the 4th weekend is the Goodguys here in KC. He wasn't concerned at all about the same weekend as Goodguys here because most of them don't race. So, maybe the 3rd weekend of September is worth shooting for. Having ours the same weekend as Goodguys would give us something else to do but would want to check with the hotel first. Lodging might be a problem.

That's it for now. Let me know what you all think!!!

Phil