1st ANNUAL 348-409.com CONVENTION

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Count me in and I would incourage anyone who has a W engine in anything bring it if you can. I think if you have incomplete projects bring it on and let us see it. Notice Aubrey I said engine.:p Roy

bobs409

Administrator
Phil, that has to be the longest thread I've seen yet! :D

My hat is off to you for taking on such a big project! After doing the T-shirt project and seeing how much it involved, I can only imagine what putting an event like this together must be like! :eek:

When this event gets closer and has an actual date, I'll put something on the main page to announce it.

Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Documenting the event

I will not only be there, help facilitate things (fancy word for "get in the way"), bring one or more X-frame cars with a "W" engine, but I will bring my new digital video camera and buy additional storage space for my still digital camera :) This event is going to be so impacting that we will need to document it properly.

Thanks to Phil and everyone else who helps put this together.

Anxiously awaiting the next development,

TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Your thoughts

Bob:

Thanks for the kind words. This will be a labor of love!! While I know up front that we can't make every member happy...we're gonna shoot for the other 98%!!!! I want to make this as memorable for as many persons as possible!!!

Does this mean that you are now making plans to be HERE!!!! You gotta do that!!!! You can take some of the money that I'm going to pay you under the table for the 409th membership number and apply that towards your travelling expenses!!!!:D :cool: :D :D

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Phil
I was wondering if the race plans could be made flexible.
when you talk to the track about dates.
Suppose that the weather man says it will rain on Saturday,
could could the track accommodate us on Friday.

I realize that you have to make a schedule of events,
but the real reason that this happen is about to take place
is that these gearheads want to hear a W-Motor do its
thing on the drag strip.
I know that Dq would be disappointed traveling
accross the country, including myself.
Allen
Blue Screamer :cool:

PS: Maybe it doesn't rain in Kansas in Sept.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil,,,So far the plan sounds good ...but I would rather have Friday nite open for drags and or cruzin`,,,,,we could have a mid-afternoon banquet,,,,

A Friday Nite Cruz to a location in KC would be a BLAST !!

That would work better in my mind.

All the banquets I`ve been to at events like this seem to be a time soaker and secondary to what the gathering is all about.
Most attendees seem to start wondering and getting wrestless about half way through the banquet.

Not one convention I`ve been to has used this idea,,,,but it seems the logical way and time to do a banquet.

A car event should be focused on the cars and owners,,,,,

After a morning of car show off then a brunch banquet would be the ideal use of the short time we will be gathering,,,,
The early afternoon time slot seems to be a void that never gets filled,,,,,

Just my thoughts,,,,

How do the others feel????

,,,,dq

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
FYI - The track does have a very strong Wednsday and Friday night Grudge Race that would be a blast to take part in. This could be in addition to the Saturday event.
TomO

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You guys have me terribly excited about this event! I will do my very best to be there and bring a flat black 348 powered 55 for all to drool over (or laugh at. Whatever seems appropriate) :p NUT

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
BlueScreamer

Guys, you just gotta hear the Blue Screamer make a pass down the track. I'll tell you, if you remember these cars at all from when they were new, and ruling the strips, You will get tears in your eyes. Allen, and I'm sure others will, has a great car, and it RUNS GOOD. The Wully Bully cars are also from PA., and I would hope would make the trip. I'd personally like another chance at Old Blue. Tried him in 65 at Lion's, but the win light LIED.
There is nothing like a 409 at full song.

I CAN"T WAIT

Fred

PHIL, THANKS

TM, THANKS

BOB, SPECIAL THANKS, and BE THERE.

Fred, again

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
???????????

Jims409, where in the world do you get all those ( don't know what to call them ) things you use in your posts?

Gonna try to spell this--------- HILARIOUS. ??????????? ( right )

Fred

truck409

Supporting Member 1
:D :D Phil,I appreciate all your effort in putting this thing together for all of us,I'm going to do my level best to be there one way or the other,maybe even with my 348 powered 55 chev 4 door(unfinished of course) and I guess I might just have to order a roll of that infamous toilet paper you have also,hee hee hee!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jim, hate to pick at you, and I promise not to tell anyone else in here, but that last one is a HEMI, not a 409. You need to change that before anyone else in here sees it. I'm trying to be very quiet about this. Hope you get it fixed before you get a bunch of hate mail!;)

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey,,,,Lets stick to the subject in this thread,,,,,,

Wouldn`t want the new guys to think were juvenile would we??

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Speaking of juvenile,,,,,,,,,,I asked my roomate (she`s my ex) how to spell it,,,,,, She answered ,,,, J ,,, pause ,,,,, i m ,,,!!!!

Had to laugh at that one,,,,,,,, LMSOAO !!!!!

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
So would the $100 be only if we entered a car? or any member attending any of the functions? What would we charge people off the street to look at our cars, etc.?

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I haven't talked to Phil about this, but ... this is a good point NUT.

If you're looking for bad words from somebody, charge them to look at cars in a parking lot. Or on Main Street or in a park. It's impossible to control and if someone crashes the gate, there's really nothing you can do. It is sometimes done, but it's a real pain. This is about us getting together, not about having a paid event. So I'd recommend that it be open to all spectators for free.

So how do we handle the person that walks by, is a gearhead not associated with the Convention and wants to see Hayden or whatever other speakers/guests/heros/meetings there might be? Now we have to police the door. That's no fun. Letting people with badges come in and stopping anyone else and asking for $5.00. No fun. So this may seem dumb, but we have a sign and also announce that non-registered attendees should politely put their $5.00 in the kitty. Most will, some won't. Don't stress on it. We are not going to waste time on other people's ethics.

Maybe we should have a rate for the banquet (a/k/a food fight and if the posts of the last few days are any indicator, we'll only need to pour some chili in a trench), meetings, one t-shirt, event plaque and so on, but no car entry. It should depend on our costs so we can meet our obligations so it's a hard number to pin down right now, but it would be less.

My thoughts anyway.

And threeimpalas just made another point. What if you bring more than one car? Maybe $50 per additional car and you get another t-shirt and plaque - but obviously the rest is unusable duplication.

So the question is "What's the registration fee if you bring no car and how much if you bring multiple cars?" Good questions and we'll get to an answer as this thing evolves.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does bringing more then one car add any cost to this event?

I don`t see where it would other then the drags,,,, but it does add interest to the gathering !!

It would seem only fair that the entrance fee is geared towards one member and the first car. If there needs to be added fees for mulitble cars it should be held to a minimum and only then if it indeed causes added cost.

Bottom Line?
To have the largest number of cars we can gather !!

,,,,,dq

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I realize that this is supposed to be our event but if we muddy things up it is going to detract from the main thing, that we are going to get together. This is so we can all see each other and talk about our love, W engines [ there Aubrey], I would love to have speakers and all but really I want see everyone and for once be at an event where W motors are the majority. Also, We need to keep the costs at a minimum. I for one will be staying at the place where they leave the light on for you. It costs money to rent a strip and to rent a place to gather. The lower the costs the more people can afford to come. I talk about costs and some people costs mean different things. To me a 1000 dollars is an astronomical sum. But to others it is a cheap set of heads. I'll bet there are others out there that to come to this event is a great sacrifice. It is something that will mean that it must be saved for and planned for, not a hopeless situation that can't be attained. I know that guys used to race at their home strip and plan for the winter nationals or the nationals once a year. We need something that we can all afford to come to and I think that $100 registration for a 4 day event is fine. But I think that if you bring 1 car or 5 it should be $100. The only variable being if you plan on racing more than one car and have a pit crew. But $100 should get you and your family in. I believe that we should all feed ourselves except for the brunch, I'm with DQ on that one, been to to many Firefighter conventions. WOW, I'm long winded, I know that Phil and TM are putting in long hours on this but Tom K. called me and we talked for an hour and it was like we were old friends, thats what this is about, old friends getting together. :cheers Roy

Man, Roy.... did YOU wrap that up nicely:cheers !

Touched on everything.

I'll admit it.... I'm "not sure" yet... it's the money. Not the $100 ( $135 CDN )... it's the 3500-4000 miles at about 8 MPG on premium:mad: Again, throw that Canadian dollar problem into the equation, and we're talking some VERY serious coin.

I made a sort of a deal with myself...
My dyno test on my stocker engine....
If it runs a number that will cause NHRA to factor the HP UP.... NOTHING will stop me from being there !
If it runs what I think it will... I'll make some sacrifices to be there.
If it's OK... things will have to fall into place.
If it is proven that I really don't have a clue what I'm doing... I'll run and hide and won't mention another word :p

So, I will have my decision made for me within a few weeks

:deal

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil is the one putting in the hours. I am the one sitting in the lawn chair.

As far as I know, multiple cars would not increase expenses. Maybe some parking space ripoff or something. If there's anything, I don't know what it is or will be. But if you want an additional t-shirt and plaque and whatever else costs money to make, for EACH car you bring, then a breakeven additional per item fee needs to be charged. If not, then for right now at least, no extra charge for additional member cars seems okay unless Phil knows something I don't. No one's trying to make money. Ideally we'd all walk away $100 + expenses lighter. Any money it takes to make trophies, shirts, blah, blah should get paid back to whoever springs for the cost to get them done. I'm not trying to dictate terms anywhere, but Phil is doing all the legwork and so on and we should have some kind of consideration for his expenses too.

Personally, I want to see Hayden and Lamar and Aubrey and whoever can be there, within reason, that can richen our knowledge and experience. The hotel might let us use the conference room Phil mentioned at little or no cost. Guaranteed reservations in September are not easy to come by and even though they are giving us a discount, they are making bucks and will be accomodating. Since Phil is there, he's the one to confirm what they will actually do, but you get the point.

At the risk of getting yelled at about fairness - pretend we do indeed get 200 participants. That's $20,000 and if there's any left over - and we will try for that to happen - then some should go to Bob for the forum expenses (marked bills of course) and maybe we can help out those that had to come a long way at much greater expense than for most of us. It's the right thing to do so our friends can be there, otherwise what's the point?

I'm not going to be out of debt on my car by then and if something doesn't change will be borrowing money for the trip too. The alternative is not to come and you'll be kicking yourself long after the finacial pain would be over. I'll be there unless I'm dead and maybe even then too. ewooooooooo dq, follow the light.

These are all good points and have to be considered. Be patient and keep them coming. We'll get it worked out.