2.06 vs 2.19 valves

jrpontiac

Well Known Member
I stopped by the cylinder head shop today and had them take a look at my heads. I need new valves which was no surprise. He mentioned that he had a set of new 2.18/1.72 valves for $150 and that he could make my 2.06 valves 2.19's for $20 above the standard cylinder head work cost. Since I need new valves anyways the 2.19 setup would cost me approx. $20 more than the 2.06.

A couple questions.

Can the #586 348 head take a 2.19 valve?

I'm building a 348, 10.1-10.5.1 engine, Haven't quite figured out the cam specs but it will be on the bigger side of what a 348 can handle, 3x2, 4 speed, no porting work, solid lifters, is the 2.19 valve to much?

Beside the intake valve size and push rod diameter what are the other differences between the #586 and the #690

Thanks,
Jason

jrpontiac said:
is the 2.19 valve to much?

Good call, Jason...
Yes, it's too much. The ports won't feed a 2.19" valve
It's not so much that it can or can't be done... more of a matter of no benefit, with the by-product of completely consuming the longevity of 45 year-old cylinder heads:doh .

jmho

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Large Valves

Jason: I read somewhere that large 409 valves will hit the top of the cylinders, due to the 348 having a smaller bore size, than a 409. I'm not sure if a overbore would solve this problem or not. Like Aubrey said, your performance would really suffer. Skip :)