2 Piece Driveshaft Vibration Problem Solved

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I got rid of it. Just got dome with the one piece driveshaft conversion on the Biscayne and all I can say after a drive is FANTASTIC.
The car drives better, it just seems like a whole new car. There was a shudder when I took off that I thought was the new 409 engine problem but was the old hanger issue. I did cut the frame, got the fuel like out of there (scary) then got the new shaft balanced and it was so nice to drive last night. Just have to get the 700R4 in it next year so I will just cut the 69 Impala driveshaft next year. On the frame to make it more rigid in the rear I added a reinforcement using my old driveshaft loop off my race car then welded it to the frame. I will get some stiffer shocks for the front end, a stiffer sway bar to make it a nice driver again. This has been the best ride in that car since I bought it, almost spent the $579 on the Inland driveshaft, the new shaft only cost me $95 total for new u-joints and a balance. Now it's on to the car shows to show off the "409".

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Congratulations. I'm glad things went well. I'd sure like to see some pics of that driveshaft and where you cut the frame, if possible. Thanks, Carmine.

Sure make me crawl under that car again, LOL. Ya, when I change the wheels back I will snap some shot of the underside. I did find out that I need to get an adjustable pan hard bar as the rear axle is pretty far off. Found one on feebay for like $57. The new driveshaft was a lot closer to the drivers side than the passenger side with the stock bar. I took the e-brake mounts on the frame off in the rear, in the front part I had to trim out the hole with the sawzall as it was pretty close on the driver side with a 3.5" tube. I also put the original rear springs in the back and the car now sits level and I think helped a lot. I really hated to do this to the frame but after the drive I am glad I did.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I put a 350/400 setup into an S-10 and went to Inland for a custom built driveshaft, would be $5-600 area. Got one from Speedway Motors WITH front yoke and both u-joints for about $300.