2 speed wiper wiring question

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just bought a 65 impala ss with non-functioning wipers. Previous owner swears the wiper motor is recently rebuilt, but couldn't figure why it didn't work after installation. After a little tinkering verified it had no power to the unit and after referencing my trusty wiring diagram I discovered why. The black-yellow stripe wire that is supposed to provide power was not connected and stuffed behind the wiring harness. Guess he didn't know what to do with it so he hid it. Anyway, problem is there is no open connector on the motor. I know the middle terminal on the motor is the +12v terminal, but is connected to the three conductor connector coming from the switch. So I don't know if I have the wrong wiring harness from the switch (doesn't look like it), the wrong motor (probably, but physicall fits), a missing connector that broke off some how (doesn't look like it). Assemebly and service manuals don't have enough detail to determine where to connect the power wire. Anyone out there have suggestions? Should I just splice the wire in?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I would not "splice" a harness wire without testing the load device and the power wire's source and fusing
robert

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I did verify the wire I found was the wiper power supply wire by checking power, then removing wiper fuse. I am assuming there is another type of motor with a four terminal connector instead of the three which is currently installed.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have a 2 speed motor on mine but is 3 wire like yours. I am not knowledgeable about what applications fit what terminals. I have said before that wiper motors aren't one of my most favorite things in these cars and Corvettes. Say... that motor could be a Corvette item due to the extra terminals on alot of those cars electricals :dunno :dunno :dunno
robert

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
FYI, the 2 speed wiper washer motors in my 59 Chevy and 63 Corvette are identical, same 3 posts with one connector, plus a separate hookup for the washers.

Do you have washers- they have their own terminal on both my cars, I don't know how different your 65 motor is.

Don

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
FYI, the 2 speed wiper washer motors in my 59 Chevy and 63 Corvette are identical, same 3 posts with one connector, plus a separate hookup for the washers.

Do you have washers- they have their own terminal on both my cars, I don't know how different your 65 motor is.

Don

Yes it has washers with the seperate hookup. So basically I have five terminals, three for the motor and two for the washers, but six wires I need to connect. Five (3+2) from the harness coming from the switch plus the single power wire. I assume it must be the wrong motor.

bobs409

Administrator
I seem to recall a similar thing when I bought a new wiper motor for my 66 Chevelle. I think they listed a 3 wire and a 4 wire.

Not sure what the difference is anymore as this was many years ago. :dunno

Bob

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I don't have an electrical schematic to read for the internal circuits behind the connector block of the wiper motor but if someone has one it would help this forum issue. I have had too many electrical/mechanical issues throughout the years with wipers to think this one out.(brain too full:dunno )
robert

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What colour are the 3 wires on the connector you have attached to the motor?

Don

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry to be going back and forth like this but Is the wiring harness a new one? Do those 3 colours match the wiring diagram you have? I believe the black yellow wire should be in the 3 wire connector, not separate? On the wiring diagram for a 65 with a single speed wiper, that wire is connected to the wiper motor, (as it is on a 65 Corvette with 2 speed wipers, I don't have a 65 2 speed Impala wiring diagram).

Could the black and red wire be black and orange and be for the heater blower motor?

Don

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The wiring is very old and goes directly through the firewall to the switch, nothing to the fuse box and verified with ohm meter. The wiring diagram on the web site and the assembly/service manuals are all the same and look like they are for single speed wipers. One black/yellow wire from the harness and one black/light blue wire going between motor/switch. When going back through the service manual though, I found one picture where the terminal board on the wiper motor had 4 connectors, but there sure were a lot of other pictures where I could only see three. I do believe you are correct. When it says yellow it is actually black with a yellow stripe.

Thanks for all the help.

GLM409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just spoke with someone that rebuilds wiper motors for a living. Chevrolet did have some wiper motors that had 4 terminals instead of 3. The fourth terminal piggy backed on the middle terminal of the 3 typically seen on two speed washers for the power connection. So, wrong connectors on the wiper motor for this application. He assured me splicing in a pigtail would be perfectly fine and has seen it done.

Thanks for all the help.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I just love it to hear a successful old 2 speed wiper story come to a happy ending. Ranks up there with the vacuum door problem on 68 Corvettes which I despise also:roll :roll
robert