2 stick Kenworth 1955 cabover shifting

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
We had a 2 stick 4X4. It was a handful to shift. When it went bad I replaced it with an air 4X4, wow what a difference. Years ago we had a tandem Binder dump with a 6-71, 5 speed fuller, and a 3 way tandem twin screw. You had 3 choices with the air shift rear ends. Both in the low side, one in high side and one in low side, for intermediate, and both in the high side for high. Not bad to drive, due to the air shift. Take off in low on the Fuller, run through the gears on the tandems, then on to second on the Fuller, through the gears on the tandem, and so forth, but the Fuller didn't have quite a low enough gear for when you got off road. The Fuller took a crap and the parts were high priced, so I put a 13 speed Roadranger in that one. Talk about a choice for gears. When you put the rear tandems in the low side you just crawled and could pull stumps. We usually left the rears in high on highway as with the 13 speed 1st was ok for off road. Probably the only 39 speed in existence at the time...….Wrenching on all this stuff without much $$$ to spend is the reason I don't enjoy working on my car much today.

Last edited: