2" tailpipes

Smokey1963

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 63 impala with a 409 is ready for exhaust. I have 2 1/2" head pipes and have selected Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers. They are 2 1/2 in and 2 1/2 out. Would like to run 2" tailpipes. How much will this hurt the performance?

Thanks in Advance
Ed

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
H-m-m-m.:rolleyes My son, has been bugging me, for two years, to get rid of my 2" tailpipes.:doh He says, and I agree, my 476, is probably losing 30 H.P. :doh I don't know, if a 2 1/2" tailpipe will fit, near my rear tires. :dunno I don't really, want to exit, in front of the rear tires. Does anyone make a pipe, to do this, Don?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Check with Show Cars.I think that they even have some that are mandrel bent[pricey],but that's whats needed on a big inch engine.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Shaffer Classics starting making 2 1/2" tailpipes probably 10 years ago. They flatten the area right at the tire area.
Warren Shaffer sent the first set to a customer in St. Louis and I went over for the install. Fit like a glove!!!! They also added an additional bracket around the tire area to stabilize it.
Would recommend them!!!!

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Shaffer Classics starting making 2 1/2" tailpipes probably 10 years ago. They flatten the area right at the tire area.
Warren Shaffer sent the first set to a customer in St. Louis and I went over for the install. Fit like a glove!!!! They also added an additional bracket around the tire area to stabilize it.
Would recommend them!!!!

That is what I have on my 59 Impala, purchased thru Phil. fit great!

W Head

59 impala 409-2,4s