20 Ton Finger Press Brake

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just finished welding up my new press brake. Bought a kit from Swag Off Road. I think It's supposed to be able to handle 3/8" plate, maybe thicker depending on the width. I've looked into building one of these from scratch, but I just dont have the extra time like some have(Bob:D). Was pretty easy to assemble. Since this was designed to fit a Harbor Freight press and my press has a little bit larger frame, I had to machine a ram that fit the ring on the brake. I bent a piece of 1/8" like it wasn't there. I will have to pick up several smaller sizes of angle iron to stack in the bottom die to get tighter bends on thick stock. But I am very happy with it.IMG_20200215_115700.jpgIMG_20200215_114434.jpgIMG_20200215_114444.jpgIMG_20200211_065101.jpg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Nice piece Jim. Back in 1978 I built a 20 ton press that looked similar to yours. I remember what a pia it was drilling the holes in the uprights. Even with a pilot hole the bit still grabbed big time with the finish bit. The 3/4" drill jerked the crap out of a guy. If you want to get jerked around with a big drill just crank a 4 cyl Contenatial power unit with one....hard on the wrists.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've got an old Toastmaster 1/2" drill that was my dad's. That bugger is geared low and twisted my wrists a few times. The switch went bad, so my brother direct wired it. Can't pull the plug out fast enough when it caught, so we retired it.:crazy:laugh2