2011 409 shootout.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Steven, sorry to here about your engine. I have always admired your cool cars, the new build will be awesome for sure. Man, that's dangerous having cars coming down at you in the deep end with fluid on the track:eek.
Like the daylight also Ray :beer

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Some great shots by Bob Wentzelburger. He says "the good, the bad, and the ugly" but looks like some pretty good photography to me! Check out the shots on Webshots by clicking Bob's link below! Thanks Bob!!!

Bob Wentzelburger said:
Been humpin' all week trying to get the Gasser photos done. Got photos out
to Gassermadness.com which I hope will be up soon, photos out to Gasser Wars
magazine, everything backed up, and had some time left over before I head
out to BSD tomorrow morning. So I put up all the 250 "409" photos up at
http://rides.webshots.com/album/580314875AhayNs .
Everything I shot is there, the good, the bad, and the ugly. LOL
Bob

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well just an update on what we're doing.... We made it to Kansas City, MO to night and are headed down to Springfield for the Classic Chevy show. Tried to get ahold of Phil since we are right here in his town, but he didn't answer any of the phone numbered I called ???? Everything is still going great and we have paid for two more Oil company Exec vacation for this year. Also paid the bonuses for three investment CEO's for the next couple of years and we're still a week from home.

Hope everyone had as good a time as we did at Thompson !!!

Bill and Linda

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Just looked at Bob's photos and they looked great. He has a couple with air under Ray's front tire. Hmmmm?
Robert

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Scott and I had a great time. Really enjoyed talking with you and Linda. Keep traveling safe and have a good time!!

Lonnie:beer:pop

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well just an update on what we're doing.... We made it to Kansas City, MO to night and are headed down to Springfield for the Classic Chevy show. Tried to get ahold of Phil since we are right here in his town, but he didn't answer any of the phone numbered I called ???? Everything is still going great and we have paid for two more Oil company Exec vacation for this year. Also paid the bonuses for three investment CEO's for the next couple of years and we're still a week from home.

Hope everyone had as good a time as we did at Thompson !!!

Bill and Linda

?????????????????? Bill..............was at the shop unitl 6 last night and had my cell on me all day!!!???? Sorry I missed you. Am meeting Paul this morning as he is driving thru. Look for his blue 62 SS 409!!!!
Tell Ted Howdy for me!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did anyone happen to get pics. of Tom Truppo's engine compartment? 14.51 for a full size pickup with a 348 is impressive to me. Congrats to him and I would be interested in knowing more about his truck.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Got back to SLC yeaterday. What a long trip, but it was worth it. Had a great time & fun meeting everyone & racing. Has been over 45 years since I had done any serious drag racing. Sure did forget alot. Looking forward to next year. Also plan on going to Iowa & CA this year for the 409 events. Hope to see some of you there. Bill (nuts), sure was fun, drop me a line when you get home. Trip home was uneventful & had a terrible head wind on Tuesday, had trouble trying to keep the car at 60 MPH, gas mileage dropped to 10.8 Drive safe.

Joel

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
waiting for Convoy to go to National Speedway 001.jpgwaiting for Convoy to go to National Speedway.jpgwaiting for Convoy to go to National Speedway 001.jpg waiting for Convoy to go to National Speedway.jpg Hey Jim SS409, I just wanted to thank you for taking a few minutes at Thompson to give your thoughts about a rack & pinion for my '57 build. I noticed that your '55 is still using the stock steering box. Those headers are awfully close to the box. I found 2 pictures of back in the day .......... I believe 1982 on the side of the road waiting for a convoy to assemble for a trip to National Speedway. We ended up with about a dozen cars in the convoy. That '55 had a 69=396 w/TH350 trans. Your '55 would have fit right in there with him. You and my friend would have played all day I bet !!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Trip home was uneventful & had a terrible head wind on Tuesday, had trouble trying to keep the car at 60 MPH, gas mileage dropped to 10.8 Drive safe.
Joel

Joel,

Glad to hear you and Lee made it home, in good shape. We also enjoyed traveling with you guys, had a great time.

We made it to Springfield, yesterday with only one problem, lost the brakes on the trailer. Took it in today and they found a cut wire on the brake wires. Guess the bumps coming through Chicago area, took it out !!!! There are a lot of Chevy's here for the Chevy Classic Convention, so far I've found twelve 409's here, but ours is the only one that was at Thompson. Paul Stensland is here with his SS Impala and the strocker 409. As always he has build at beutiful car !!!:cool::bow

We'll give you a call when we going through SLC on the way home. We have not had any real strong head winds up to now, but I'm sure we will as we head West.

Bill and Linda

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill.make sure you get some pictures at the Chevy Convention.How about posting them when time allows you.John

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bill.make sure you get some pictures at the Chevy Convention.How about posting them when time allows you.John

John,

That's on my schedule for tomorrow AM. Plan to get some pictures while the cars are apart for the judging. I will post as soon as possible.
Lots of great cars, but most are Tri-Five, but there are some Late Greats and even new Camaro's.

Bill

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well event number two all wrapped up... Next on the agenda is the trip home, :cool::cool:, lots of driving left to do (1900). We were selected as one of the ten "Cruzer Class" awards for the Convention. We had the only 1962 BelAir at the show ??? Lots of Impala's 61 thru 66, but no BelAir's. I counted eight 409's, but might have missed one or two. Large collection of TriFive's and Camero's.

I took lots of pictures and I will get them uploaded as soon as possible. Got to spend a little time with Paul and lust after his beutiful 62 SS 409, it was truely one of the gems of the show. Took a drive out Route 66 and got some pictures in front of an old fuel station that is run by Gary, quite a chacter, lots of stoies.

On the raod again, first thing in the AM, got to get headed back home. Thanks Paul for the help loading the trailer !!!!! :cool::beer

Bill and Linda

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
View attachment 16740View attachment 16739View attachment 16740 View attachment 16739 Hey Jim SS409, I just wanted to thank you for taking a few minutes at Thompson to give your thoughts about a rack & pinion for my '57 build. I noticed that your '55 is still using the stock steering box. Those headers are awfully close to the box. I found 2 pictures of back in the day .......... I believe 1982 on the side of the road waiting for a convoy to assemble for a trip to National Speedway. We ended up with about a dozen cars in the convoy. That '55 had a 69=396 w/TH350 trans. Your '55 would have fit right in there with him. You and my friend would have played all day I bet !!

Looks like everybody had a great time!
Lots of wheels up action.

Sounds like the spotter at the big end of the track was sleeping or on their cell phone.
That is scary that they allowed cars to continue with fluid on the track.

Hopefully next year the date does not conflict with the Supernationals at Etown.

Butch: Where was that picture taken?

Mike

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi Mike, I believe that shot was taken on Deer Park Avenue just south of the Expressway by the "ANGEL" Nurserys
:crazy:dance

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey Joel,

I thought you were going to shut off the big fan, on your way out of Wyoming !!!!! :dunno:doh It took all the go the truck had to tow that box down the road !!!! :bang:mad:cuss Sure hope it dies down in the morning ???

Well for anyone keeping track, we made it to Rawlins, WY to night, so we're getting closer to home, every night. Should bet back into Idaho tomorrow and spend the night with family in Burley, ID before heading home on Wednesday. Sure will be glad to get off the road and into my own bed and easy chair.

Will post those pictures and video after that.

Bill and Linda
Still trucking along

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Well event number two all wrapped up... Next on the agenda is the trip home, :cool::cool:, lots of driving left to do (1900). We were selected as one of the ten "Cruzer Class" awards for the Convention. We had the only 1962 BelAir at the show ??? Lots of Impala's 61 thru 66, but no BelAir's. I counted eight 409's, but might have missed one or two. Large collection of TriFive's and Camero's.

I took lots of pictures and I will get them uploaded as soon as possible. Got to spend a little time with Paul and lust after his beutiful 62 SS 409, it was truely one of the gems of the show. Took a drive out Route 66 and got some pictures in front of an old fuel station that is run by Gary, quite a chacter, lots of stoies.

On the raod again, first thing in the AM, got to get headed back home. Thanks Paul for the help loading the trailer !!!!! :cool::beer

Bill and Linda

Thanks Bill, for the comments, great seeing you again. congraduation on the criusers award, you where mentioned at the sunday morning awards breakfast, Bob Snowden even mentioned that you had a 409 in the bubble top.
My 62 SS got 989 points out of 1000 and a platinum award.
We also toured collections of two local late great and 409 chevy owners while in Springfield.

Bill helped us find new tires for our borrowed enclosed trailer. Had to replace 3 tires after one of the 10 year + old tires blew a belt 50 miles from arriving at the event, last Thursday. thanks Bill.

Paul Stensland

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Paul,

Congrats on your Platinum Award, that's guite an accomplishment for sure... She was looking good for sure... Hope your trip home was less eventful than the trip down. Hope to see you again real soon...

Keep in touch
Bill and Linda