2011 409 shootout.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well just a quick update on our trip. We had a choice today of driving an extra 300 miles, or stopping a little early and driving home tomorrow. Well we took option "B" and stopped for the night in Tremonton, UT. Shorter day of driving than usual, but didn't want to drive into the night to get home, after we past by here...

Bill and Linda

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Thanks Bill, for the comments, great seeing you again. congraduation on the criusers award, you where mentioned at the sunday morning awards breakfast, Bob Snowden even mentioned that you had a 409 in the bubble top.
My 62 SS got 989 points out of 1000 and a platinum award.
We also toured collections of two local late great and 409 chevy owners while in Springfield.

Bill helped us find new tires for our borrowed enclosed trailer. Had to replace 3 tires after one of the 10 year + old tires blew a belt 50 miles from arriving at the event, last Thursday. thanks Bill.

Paul Stensland
Congratulations on the award. Paul was kind enough to hand deliver a part for my 62 convertible. Spending the afternoon looking at cars "kinda pumped me up"...maybe I can get back to unfinished projects. If I'ld have known others were around we could of had a "cook out"...coulda...woulda...shoulda. Maybe next time. Thanks....Russ

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay, for those who are still tracking on this saga, WE ARE BACK AT HOME !!!!!! :cool::dance:dance We had a great trip, with no real issues along the 5310 mile, seventeen day trip from driveway to driveway. Ms Bela is back in her stall and not quite as dirty as last year, although she still needs a good cleaning !!! :doh Linda and I are VERY glad to be off the road, damn that's a long haul, towing a trailer. The last three days, we fought strong head winds every mile... :eek:cuss I know there were atleast one or two gas stations along the road, we missed, but I can't remember where. We used 535 gals of fuel according to the computer in the Avalanche, but I'll have to add up the actual gas purchased to see how it compares. The computer says, we got 10.2 MPG for the whole trip, although it dropped off alot the last three days, fighting the wind.

We had alot of fun along the way and really enjoyed seeing everyone again and meeting new friends at both Thompson and Springfield. It's always so much fun to get together with everyone and but a face to handles from the websites. Don't know if we will be able to do it again next year, but time will tell. The drive is very long and hard on Linda's back, so we'll have to look hard at future long trips. She was a real tropper and didn't complain, but I know she was in alot of pain, during the trip home.

I will get to work on the videos and the pictures from both events, maybe as early as tonight and get some stuff posted.

Home at last
Bill and Linda

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the update Bill.I'm glad all is well.To help Linda's back,you just need a bigger,more confortable truck.Getting old is H@LL isnt it?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
To help Linda's back,you just need a bigger,more confortable truck.

Call Dave...............get a new Peterbuilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confortable and will pull that trailer like it wasn't even back there behind you!!!!:clap:clap

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Glad to see you made it. It was great meeting you maybe next year I can help ya wax ms. bela. I envy you guys that can make these trips someday I'll get some projects out of the way and do it myself.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome home Bill & Linda. Glad you made it safely. You have a whole year ( well, 50 weeks ) to find a reasonably priced motorhome with a nice bed that Linda can lay down in to ease her back when needed. The gas mileage might be a little less, but you could save a lot on motels most of the nights. Just something to ponder. Look forward to seeing you both next year. Linda mentioned us having a beer next year, sounds good to me!! I believe she will be up for the trip. May be picking up Scotts motor for the '62 tomorrow so the bugs should be well worked out of it by next June. The new positraction unit came today, so with that and the motor we may have it back on the road in a week or two hopefully. Have fun at the West Coast Shootout!!

Lonnie :beer:beer

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bill, Well done. Plenty of memories til next year. Glad ya'll made it home safe.

Bill,
I met you the first year of this event. I have really enjoyed following your journey both last year and this year. Glad you had a safe trip and thanks for sharing the stories and photos.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks All,

It was quite an adventure alright ! :cool::hug We will be planning for next year, but it might have to be a "Fly In" trip. I'd hate to miss the chance to see everyone and tell some stories (read lies) with you all. The last three years have been a blast for sure. We'll just have to see what the next year brings.

"Lonnie" said:
You have a whole year ( well, 50 weeks ) to find a reasonably priced motorhome

Let me see, "reasonably priced" and "motorhome", do they really go together ??? :dunno:dunno

Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Glad you and Linda made it home OK~!!! Good to see you again!! Sorry I missed you in KC:cry I had 1998 miles on the Harley round trip. Great ride both ways...no rain...and had a great caravan to the Indiana border on Sunday when we left the Comfort Inn in Mentor!!!!:clap:clap Got to listen to a sweet set of glass packs on a certain red 60 Impala all day!!!!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You know they have an airport in Cleveland! Fly the wife in and pick her up when you get there.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
"Models916) said:
Fly the wife in and pick her up when you get there
That might work, but I'd need someone to ride along and read the maps, she's also my GPS !!!! :pop

Bill

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bill, you've been to Thompson three times, and you're a big boy, I'm sure you could make it on your own!!

Lonnie:D:clap:dance