2011 409 shootout.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
More Racing Gems::: :brow:brow

I've have about 5 minutes of video,if I can figure how to post it I will do it. John:dance

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well I'm sorry to report that I won't be able to edit or load any video until I get home.... :bang:mad:crazy I got a new computer, just before leaving and it won't let me load the software needed to edit these vidoes !!!!:bang:bang:crazy I will get them uploaded soon as possible, but we're not going to be home until the middle of the month.

Well just know that everyone had a great time, and I'll get some video up ASAP.

Still driving donw the road and buying gas by the truck load. :crazy Lots of driving yet to do, we're headed to Madison, WI and then down to Springfield, MO for the Classic Chevy Convention before heading West for Idaho. We'll keep in touch and let everyone know how we are doing.

Back in Illinois and traveling

Bill and Linda

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We had a great time! The races were great. I've got a few pictures that I'll download and post tomorrow.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
"BTW, There is a Bob Walker here running a 409 powered 65!!!! More to come on that." ;)[/quote]

My name is Bob Walker Jr. always has been. and that guy aint me daddy,so...........it must be a co-inky-dink. LOL

no lame excuses for me, i raced friday for points and cash. saturday the wifes yardsale that i forgot i promised to help with a few months ago. (she flipped when i mentioned going to Ohio) sunday Jimmy and I hung out with the nitro burning harleys at the hillclimb. pretty cool. i miss racing motorcycles.

I missed my "W" owner friends, glad to see a good time was had by all. thanx for showing us who didnt go what you did.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We'd all like to see you racing with us with your Loving Chevrolet car. Maybe next year.:beer
The Bob Walker that was there is from Canada. He's got a black 65 Chevy, there are a few pictures of it on page seven. He was there last year too but he's not an internet guy so he doesn't get on the list.
I think he only ran low to mid elevens this weekend but I know he has run as quick as 10.62, pretty good for a big car with a full interior.:beer

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay, I was able to load some photo's up but no video.

Taking a nap or fixing - You dicide.....

CIMG2861.jpg

CIMG2860.jpg

CIMG2866.jpg

CIMG2864.jpg

The two Loooooong Haulers: Idaho and Utah

CIMG2823.jpg

There are more here if you want to take a look: http://s828.photobucket.com/albums/zz210/MrNuts1962/Thompson 2011/

On the road again !!!!

Bill and Linda

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great rnd. by rnd. report on the racing Dick. Great pictures that have been posted so far. Looks like a great time was had by all along with some great weather. It was really tuff on Ronnie and myself not getting to go this year but I'm sure we'll try hard to make next years shootout. Congrats. to Valerie on her runner up in the friday race. Sounds like there wasn't as much breakage this year as last year. I hope Allen George didn't have any serious damage to his motor. Congrats. to all who made it and made it happen. BT

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great pictures Ellen !!!!

Dave

Dave, you made Ellen's day. :D

We had fun at Thompson again this year- didn't drive near the distance that you did Dave, but the old 55 T-Bird is plastered with Missouri bugs, Illinois bugs, Indiana bugs & Ohio bugs. The 409 ran fine again this year & used no oil but we won't talk about the ET & mph that I got (2.93 rear gears are great for highway but not for drag racing).

Ellen isn't all that into cars but she encourages my interests so when she reminded me that last year we didn't stop at any antique shops I felt bad so Saturday we left the drag strip about 1:00pm & drove up to see lake Erie & shop/sight see. She loved it (now maybe we can attend again next year). I felt safe thinking that she couldn't buy too much since the car has so little room and was already loaded with our traveling stuff - you would be amaized at what she can stow in that little car. That's OK since I bought something myself.

Last year we stayed at two different Bed & Breakfasts to maybe get some ideas for our own Bed & Breakfast. At one of the B & Bs last year the man told me he had a pair of 409 heads and had no use for them & ask if I wanted to buy them. They weren't 690s or 583s so I wasn't too interested. He gave me a print out with some info. This year he again ask if I wanted to buy the heads. I had ask Phil about the heads and he told me that I had better buy them so I did. They are 3795586 A2461 and have one broken rocker stud but, other than being a little rusty, look to be in good condition. Phil, if I sell can I send the grandkids thru college with the money?
.IMG_4709.jpgIMG_4712.jpgIMG_4713.jpg

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clyde, I think you made the deal of the year...:beer:clap:clap........ those are probably the rarest heads ever made !!! I don't have a clue what they are worth but I know they will probably pay for your trip to Thompson next year and maybe a little left over for Ellen to go shopping with. Just have to find the right guy.

Dave

paint helper 2

Clyde,Thanks to Ellen for the pics at Quaker Steak,I missed a chance to talk to you Friday, I mentioned last year that my son lives in Montgomery City and when he first came to the area lived in New Florence, I told him I would try to get the address of your B&B and maybe he can stop by just to say Hi...Hope you enjoyed Quaker Steak as much as I did ,really kind of unique.....:)...Skip Peterson

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clyde, I forgot to tell you, but I'm glad the old T-Bird did you proud !!! I absolutely love that car !!! I wish I was around when she was in her prime, just to watch the F@rd guys run & hide :hide

Dave

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Way to go Clyde!:beer

Considering the slow economy and the price of gas, we had a really good turnout again this year. I noticed quite a few 348/409 cars there that weren't owned by active club members. It was great to see them there.
I should have taken more pictures but I did get one bad shot of a nice 61 with a 409.
1-12.jpg

Here's Valerie staging for the finals of the Gamblers Race.
4-7.jpg

Here's Sadie, the Wully Bully team's new mascot.
2-9.jpg

It looks like Steve's Wully Bully car suffered some serious engine damage right after running some great times. Steve said the engine block is toast but they have been running that same block for about 20 years and it probably powered some truck for a lot of miles before that. It certainly doesn't owe anybody anything.

Everything went smoother than ever this year thanks to the efforts of guys like Ray, Dick, Allen, Jim K. etc. etc.
I know a lot of guys would have liked to have made it this year but there's always next year!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Clyde, you probably just about stole those heads. Hope no one put you in jail before you got back home!! It was great to talk with you and Ellen again this year. Hopefully we can see you and all of the folks again next year!

Lonnie:clap

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Clyde, I think you made the deal of the year...:beer:clap:clap........ those are probably the rarest heads ever made !!! I don't have a clue what they are worth but I know they will probably pay for your trip to Thompson next year and maybe a little left over for Ellen to go shopping with. Just have to find the right guy.

Dave
Clyde, Did you get any history on these heads? One question I would have is"WHERE IS THE REST OF THAT MOTOR?" Good score. :beer Leo​

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks for all the great pics. I had a lot more fun cleaning my shop and getting the old knuck running.:(:mad:bang