2011 409 shootout.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Clyde, Did you get any history on these heads? One question I would have is"WHERE IS THE REST OF THAT MOTOR?" Good score. :beer Leo​

Was the casting date on the other head fairly close to this one? If so they probably did come off the same motor, maybe the guy that had the heads knows something about the whereabouts of the block.
These are the same heads that are on my '61 motor, one of mine is dated Feb, the other March and the block is April.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Another successful Fred Totten 409 shootout is behind us and I am planning for the 2012 Shootout starting now. After many touch and go situations where I thought I would not make it and wrenching on the engine right up to Thursday morning I pulled in to Thompson around 10:30 AM Thursday. Even then I was about the fourth 09 to arrive. I was a little nervous about the attendance this year due to gas prices and the economy. We had a good attendance although I did not get an actual count of 409 powered cars there. I want to thank all who attended and special thanks to Allen McKenzie for his expertise in running the race. I would like to thank Bob Walla for all his help in bringing my engine to life, he endured many calls from me during the build, some of the calls were made in the panic mode and Bob kept a cool head and we figured it out. Another key player in the build was Ronnie Russell who lent his engine building skills to me, his help and advise was greatly appreciated. The engine itself ran strong in spite of the fact it was bolted together and ran with no shakedown/test&tune. The maiden blast down the strip resulted in a 6500 rpm 11.70 run. Best run netted an 11.60 @ 114.75 mph with a wheels up 1.58 60'. With tuning this can get better. I was only able to hook the Mickey Thompson EZ streets 3 times out of 8 runs so a change of tires is in the near future!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thompson for me was a very memorable 3 days for an old "70s & '80s heads up racer from back in the day. At my age,there is no way I could do what you guys are doing now with these motors. I was starting to remember all the things I forgot about the drags back then along with the GODAWFUL SUNBURN and tired feet. I will definitly be back in 2012 (Good Lord Willing ). Thank You guys for a really great time, and a chance to make some new friends. You can never have too many of those.:hug

:crazy:dance

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Clyde,Thanks to Ellen for the pics at Quaker Steak,I missed a chance to talk to you Friday, I mentioned last year that my son lives in Montgomery City and when he first came to the area lived in New Florence, I told him I would try to get the address of your B&B and maybe he can stop by just to say Hi...Hope you enjoyed Quaker Steak as much as I did ,really kind of unique.....:)...Skip Peterson

Skip, I would enjoy talking with your son - our B&B web site on the Hermann Missouri web site (www.visithermann.com) has our contact info and a map of how to find us. Look on the lodging list for A Little Log Cabin in the Woods B&B. We are only about 5 miles South of US I-70 @ the 175 mile marker (New Florence MO). Maybe we could talk 348-409 but there isn't much out here to buy (Tom K & Phil have found it all). :rolleyes There was a set of HP exhaust manifolds in Illinois that I was talking to the seller about before we left for Thompson but at 2 hours drive away I didn't have a chance to go look. I called about them when we got home but they have been sold and shipped to someone in Texas.

About the heads I bought while at Thompson: The man I bought them from said he owned a 1958 348 tri-power and really liked the car. He told me he could beat the 396 cars when they came out no problem. He said he wanted to improve his cars performance and in 1968 bought these heads because they had bigger valves than the stock heads on his engine. He sold his car before he had a chance to install the heads he sold me. When he showed me the heads in his garage I saw no other engine parts of any make or saw no tools or equipment for working on cars. There were three cars all late model - no older/collector cars and he made no mention of any other engine parts associated with the heads. He had no use for the heads and wanted to sell them to me to get them out of his way. I imagine if he had any other parts he would have said so and I didn't want to jeopardize the deal on the heads by asking. I would be willing to bet that he only bought the heads back in 1968 since his car had a good engine and he just wanted to install these heads on his engine to replace the small valve stock heads.

DGGuitar

Had a great time!( I had the purple 62 w/ Fender Skirts) Got fried in the sun. The week before, I decided to change the transmission to a Turbo 350, change the torque converter, did some engine work and ran out of time to put a good posi in. Still had street tires so they were about useless on the starting line. Tried to run 3 times and said "Forget It" and put it on the trailer. Next year hopefully I'll have my race car done! BTW "Nuts", thanks for the pictures of me snoozing under the car.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You gotta' watch Nuts, he'll always get you when you least expect it!!

Lonnie

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another successful Fred Totten 409 shootout is behind us and I am planning for the 2012 Shootout starting now. After many touch and go situations where I thought I would not make it and wrenching on the engine right up to Thursday morning I pulled in to Thompson around 10:30 AM Thursday. Even then I was about the fourth 09 to arrive. I was a little nervous about the attendance this year due to gas prices and the economy. We had a good attendance although I did not get an actual count of 409 powered cars there. I want to thank all who attended and special thanks to Allen McKenzie for his expertise in running the race. I would like to thank Bob Walla for all his help in bringing my engine to life, he endured many calls from me during the build, some of the calls were made in the panic mode and Bob kept a cool head and we figured it out. Another key player in the build was Ronnie Russell who lent his engine building skills to me, his help and advise was greatly appreciated. The engine itself ran strong in spite of the fact it was bolted together and ran with no shakedown/test&tune. The maiden blast down the strip resulted in a 6500 rpm 11.70 run. Best run netted an 11.60 @ 114.75 mph with a wheels up 1.58 60'. With tuning this can get better. I was only able to hook the Mickey Thompson EZ streets 3 times out of 8 runs so a change of tires is in the near future!

Not bad for first outing with the new engine Ray. The 60' is great, go to a full slick man:beer

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:danceHi Guys,hope this works,never down loaded videos before.Never ever used the video mode on my camera,so here goes,just about a minute worth of film before I ran out of battery juice .Shots are from the build up area for the beginning of eliminations of the 409 Shootout.Next year I will do better with this I promise. Enjoy what little film I have..John:beer:brow
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3059861820102630611oUgnKc

Here's More:):laugh
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3044514180102630611HRUCdA
And More:doh
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3042374800102630611UWCiEv
And More:brow
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3067637020102630611dVBZfC

And the last of it::beer
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3098887440102630611lqPFCX

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I noticed on Facebook that Dick has posted a picture of Valerie racing .I tried to comment on the picture and only way I could get to it was to go to her Facebook Wall .On her wall on Facebook is some video of the her racing and others racing.Maybe someone can get her to post those films oor sight.Had some great shots of racing,not sure if they were Bill's Videos or Her's or someone elses.Valerie I hope you didn't mind me looking at your sight or going on your wall,but the picture Dick posted was an incredible shot.John:bow

paint helper 2

:danceHi Guys,hope this works,never down loaded videos before.Never ever used the video mode on my camera,so here goes,just about a minute worth of film before I ran out of battery juice .Shots are from the build up area for the beginning of eliminations of the 409 Shootout.Next year I will do better with this I promise. Enjoy what little film I have..John:beer:brow
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3059861820102630611oUgnKc

Here's More:):laugh
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3044514180102630611HRUCdA
And More:doh
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3042374800102630611UWCiEv
And More:brow
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3067637020102630611dVBZfC

And the last of it::beer
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3098887440102630611lqPFCX

John, nice video...next time we'll take extra batteries and you can narrate...LOL...Skip..:pop

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Picture127.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Picture117.jpg

Picture086.jpg

Picture085.jpg

Picture1551.jpg

Picture1491.jpg

Picture1211.jpg

Picture1121.jpg

Picture0991.jpg

1960impala283

Well Known Member
The black Model A pick up hot rod ran a 9.74 (NOS) with only a roll bar... didn't think you could do that? The Anglia used the whole track, "ditch to ditch", fun to watch.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That looks like a great time!!! Hopefully we will be able to make it next year. Timing and finances just didn't allow it. Hopefully next year will be better and we can join in on the fun! Congratulations everybody!

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Thanks to all for the great pictures. It was a great weekend, unfortunately the engine is toast, as Jim said. The block has a 1" diameter hole and multiple cracks in the #7 cylinder wall, the connecting rod is in 3 pieces, and the bottom of the piston has metal missing. A lot of damage happens quickly at 6500! The good news is the top end of the engine appears to be fine, so we have something to use on a new build. We were really saddened by the loss, as Jim said, this engine has powered Wully Bully since it was built 20+ years ago. A shame to lose a good block/engine, especially one this good. This combination powered me to a 10.10 2 weeks ago! The scariest part of it all came immediately after it blew (which was @ 1100'), I coasted through the traps, into the shutdown area, and stopped along the side of the shutdown area when I realized I was dropping fluid (the entire cooling system, and most of the oil went on the track). Before I could get out of the car, I heard the next pair of cars leave the line. I immediately crawled out as fast as I could, started waving my red towel I always carry in the car, and fortunately, they saw me and avoided the slop on the track. One of the cars was Shan, who stopped on the track with me to see if he could help. At that point, we heard another pair leave the line! This continues two more times, a total of 4 pairs came down before they realized I was on the track yet! At that point, one of the track people came on the 4 wheeler to see why I was still there, they never realized I blew on the track! I will post pictures of the carnage as soon as I take some.
Steven

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like the picture of Ray's 60 with the wheel off the ground. Not many street cars can pull that off.:beer
Next year we've got to make sure to get Carl's Chevy II lined up beside Dave Mills' Chevy II. That would be a perfect photo opportunity!:clap

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I watched those runs and I don't think I could get enough of you guys beating the snot out of your rides. I am very sorry about "WULLY BULLY" losing an engine." BEEN THERE,DONE THAT" I just know you will be back in no time and continuing to amaze the crowd. Best of luck on your new build.:clap

:crazy:dance

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
@ Wully Bully. Great merciful crap!!!!! They sent 4 pairs of cars before noticing there was a problem?:eek Don't they have someone at the end of the track looking for stuff like that? I would of had more than a few words to say to those operating the track. That is totally unacceptable. Sorry about the motor. Saw both of your cars a number of times at Good Guys Indy a few times. Nice cars!