2013 West Coast Shoot Out, Dedicated to Dave Smith

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
This year we are dedicating the West Coast Shoot Out to our fellow W-head and friend Dave Smith "petepedlar" who passed from us in January 2012. He was a super person and is missed by all who knew him. We will have a special tribute to Dave at the event.

The West Coast Shoot Out will be August 24 - 25, 2013 at Samoa Dragstrip in Eureka, CA. Saturday, Aug 24, is their Nostalgia race that we can participate in along with a car show. Sunday, Aug 25, will be our race in conjunction with their National Dragster Challenge.

The BIG NEWS! On Sunday we will be racing for a NHRA "Wally" trophy. The track is able to do this because our race is now tied to their National Dragster Challenge race. I don't know many events when most of us our eligible to race for a Wally. What a fantastic opportunity.

Start making your plans and marking your calendars for this event. Tell every W-head you know and others to come watch and participate in the tribute to Dave. Even if you are not a racer bring your ride out and watch as we race for the Wally.

I will post up dates as I get them.

Paul

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Paul, planning to be there !! Good times are had by all.

Bill and Linda

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I just talked to my long time good buddy Mitch Akers in San Diego.He sounded like it was a good idea and it might be a possibility. I drove out to Samoa Drag Strip and checked the place out last year on our way to Oregon. Looks like a fun place to go fast if the starting line will let you. If we go, we'll bring up Mitch's 63 Bel Air post car, my former Rapid Transit. Take care, all!!

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Greg, that sounds great! Samoa is a lot of fun, the people are great and the track is good. Looking forward to have you join us.

Paul

HHR-L80

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Paul,
Our room is booked, Denise and I planning on being there. Looking forward to great time!

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
That's great Dean! We missed the two of you last year. I will be asking for a head count as the time grows near. This year is going to be great with the dedication to Dave and racing for a Wally. I will keep everyone posted.

Paul

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm sure you guys are going to have a great time. The Wally is a real bonus! :beer
When you win one of those, you've got something to be proud of. :deal

I once made it to the finals of a pretty big Ironman race for a Wally but I got a .004 red light. :dunno

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Plan on being there if my car ever gets completed. Engine almost finished. Hopefully all together soon so I can test it out.

Joel

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Looking forward to see you and your new "go faster" engine.:browI hope you have it fairly soon so you can install it and work out any bugs before August.
Paul

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
After sending an email out to Ken Smith, giving him a heads up about the dates, I got a call from him last night. He is going to do everything possible to attend this year, and may drive Dave's car down from Canada !!!! He is really excited to attend and meet up with everyone. He was wondering where everyone will be staying while there, so if you know a good motel in the area, let me know and I'll get the info to him.

As this is the first year to have the Dave Smith Memorial Westcoast Shoot out, it would be great if we could get a really big crowd to attend, so anyone who is on the fence about coming, jump down and start making plans !

Bill

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Bill we've already booked at the Red Lion, stayed there last year,nice place. Pat

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Dan, from the track, told me the Red Lion offers race discounts. You better ask them about that and if not let me know and I'll talk to Dan again. Paul

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Engine is basically together. Now I need to get it back in the car. Hopefully real soon. The guy working on it is good, but busy. Need to get it done soon so I can try it out. I am planning on going both to IA & CA, it will be a lot of driving with little rest time. I think I can do it. Just need the car to be completed & the tow car to stay together.:pray Hopefully see everyone in Aug. Going to try to upload a picture of the engine. Tried to upload the picture, it was too large & I don't know how to reduce it. :scratch Joel

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Joel, best thing to do is load to Photobucket then post the img link to the photo...

Or email to me, I'll post...

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
it was too large & I don't know how to reduce it. :scratch Joel

Get ahold of Butch...............he's had these kind of problems in the past!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll
I'm sorry Butch..............been another ones of those days today and this is kinda my high light tonight!!!!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Just a little nudge here, its the west coast's turn to have some fun and show that Wally off, Paul the defending champ has a target on his 62!!!!! who is going to take it away? :dance:dance:dance

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Pat,

We are planning to be there, but we haven t gotten home from Thompson yet... :cool: Also I m putting together an award to present to Dave s bother .

Bill