2013 West Coast Shoot Out, Dedicated to Dave Smith

HHR-L80

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yep, Thanks Paul for putting this all together! We should be rolling in on Friday. See ya all then!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Failure to Launch !!!!

Trying to finish up loading and getting ready to head out in the early morning, but Ms Bela has decided she does not want to go apparently !!!! :bang:dunno

Took her out to a local cruise last night and everything was okay. Parked her in the garage when we returned and today when I get ready to load her on the trailer, NOTHING !!!! I mean NOTHING !!! She doesn't start, no power to the starter, no dash lights nothing ??? Hooked up the battery charger, thinking I must have left something on to draw down the battery but according to the gauge it's charged ?? So I checked the lights and they come on, but nothing lights up with the key turned on and no indication of any power to the dash ?

Going to do some more checking, but I don't have much time to work on her. We have a tight schedule for this coming week and I have to be on the road, first thing in the morning. If it's not something I can fix fast, I'll have to change plans and hook up the TOAD instead. Got to have a reliable car to get around in for the next two weeks.

I'll let you know what I find.
We will be there one way or another !

Bill and Linda

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Nuts, my '62 Impala went dead exactly like that at a car show. I wiggled the 2 wire harness plugs on the firewall under the hood and it fired right up. Good Luck, Leo

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nuts, my '62 Impala went dead exactly like that at a car show. I wiggled the 2 wire harness plugs on the firewall under the hood and it fired right up. Good Luck, Leo

I bet this does it. If so take them loose and clean them good. Apply some dielectric grease and plug back up.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay, here is where Im at. I have cleaned and checked the battery connections, cleaned connection at starter, pulled wire connections from firewall ! So far all that has happened is Im HOT and sweaty, frustrated and getting behinder by the minute !:crazy:bang

Next Im going to hook up the remote start, and basicly hot wire to see what I get ??

Bill

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay so she started right up, when I hot wired and used a remote starter !!! :bang That tells me, with my limited mechanical knowledge it's either the ignition switch or under dash wiring ? Either way, I can't use a hot wired, remote start car for transportation so I've unhooked the trailer and hooked up the dolly for the TOAD. We'll be on the road in the early AM, so see you all there ! I had such high hope for this year making it past round #1 !:mad:cuss

Bill and Linda

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Have to wait until we get back... Just not enough time to fix now, its too late ! If Ms Bela really wanted to go she would have started. First time she let me down in 12 years...

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Have to wait until we get back... Just not enough time to fix now, its too late ! If Ms Bela really wanted to go she would have started. First time she let me down in 12 years...

I'm thankful she picked the spot she did to let you down. Sure would be worse hundreds of miles from home on a time table.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well we are on our way to sunny California ??? Or is it going up in smoke like Idaho was when we left ??

Made it to Oregon pretty quick, only 80 miles...

Then after driving for hours and hours at 55 MPH across the Oregon desert we made it to Nevada...

Every wonder why Nevada has so many drivers who fall asleep ?

And that about sums up the scenary also. Not much to see for 300 miles of driving. If it weren't for the signs telling you what state you are in and the speed limit changes between state, you'd never know where you are.

Headed to a Shootout near you !!!
Bill and Linda

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Bill sorry to hear Ms Bela is not up to the trip this year but to see you and Linda will be great, Patti and I will have to travel this route sometime as I like these desert roads that seem to go on forever. See ya soon Pat :dance

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Nuts , My son's '61 Bubble had that exact same problem when we brought it home. It ran perfectly at my friends ( We even drove it on to the trailer ). When we got home the thing wouldn't even crank on the trailer.:cussI unplugged the 2 firewall connectors , cleaned the terminals with contact spray and white lubed the connectors. It started right up and everything worked fine.:clap

:crazy:dance:cheers

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Made it in Cal today, so we are getting closer ! Spend a few days here with famly before heading out on Thurs. No WiFi here so will update later.

Bill and Linda

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Bill,
Sorry to hear of your car troubles, i have had the same but as mentioned before in this post it was the hot wire to the ignition switch.
Guess you will let us all know what it was when you get back.
I hope you and Linda have a great trip

Steve

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
I'm leaving tomorrow for Eureka and can't wait to get together with everyone again. I just read about Joel's troubles at Tri-States race and I hope he can get things going for this weekends race. Joel...get that Jerico! Safe travels everyone.

Paul

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We are stationary for now, but will leave in the AM , headed towards Eureka. Having a good time with family and spending time on the lake ! Its a tough life we are forced to live !

Bill and Linda

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Bill:

Perhaps the electrical goblins that invaded my '62 have shifted their attention to Ms. Bela :).

Sorry to learn of your situation, but glad that you decided to make the trek regardless. In my case, I didn't have anything to tow with, so I remained grounded. Next time I plan to begin a little earlier in my preparations. In some cases it just is what it is...

Enjoy!
TomK

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well we are 140 miles out of Eureka, should be in aroud 1 or 2. See you all soon. I talked to Joel and he was hopefull ??

Bill and Linda