2013 West Coast Shoot Out, Dedicated to Dave Smith

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Mike welcome aboard !! Enjoy the ride but remember to keep your hands inside at all times!! Sure was great to spend some time with you and Janes, thats a great 58 Nomad !!:cheers Hope to see you again real soon.

Bill and Linda

I'd like to hear about the performance of these cars ? !
The engine combinations, E/T , & speed... you know.... who's going fast:brow

photos and video are always good:deal

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Pretty sure my problem was the pickup coming out of the pump, on the way home I was trying to recall if I had tacked it in...or not. Probably not. Then I got to thinking about how many million of those GM had shoved into those pumps without a problem. Anyway, one more thing added to the project list. It was a pretty bad week, I must have done something to deserve all of that.
Years ago I was told GM pressed the pickup into the pumps so hard and fast that they galled together enough not to come out easy. If you do it in a tapping in sort of way, it needs a spot weld or a bolt on attachment.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Well Aubrey I'll go first, My 65 has a 65 truck block with 690 heads and 400 hp intake and 750 Edelbrock, M21, original exhaust, 373 posi and drag radials. I think the block is original with stock compression and cam so it's no hotrod just a fun cruiser thats gets forced down the strip once a year, my best time is 14.50 @ 95 mph. When the engine comes out all that will change with higher compression and a more modern cam! I can't wait. Pat :rub

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
To Ken and all of Dave's friends.....
I received a call from Doug Marion on Monday. His question was....what was the guy's name who drove the 61 Impala from Canada to Thompson 3 years ago when Doug came when Hayden was there???? I said.....his life was just celebrated this past weekend. I told him about Dave and that his brother Ken had the car now. Anyway...Doug was writing a "Back in the Day" column for Super Chevy magazine and I'm "assuming" that Dave's car will be pictured. I didn't ask but we'll know in about 2 or 3 months. Hope Ken and the car get some coverage.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Aubrey, I never got in a real pass, but this year I was expecting low to mid 12 et at around 110. Pretty much stock 409/425 except cam and pistons which you know about. Original carbs, intake, unported 583s, 700r4 etc.

Thanks for the responses, guys:bow.... I MAY be able to attend these events yet:pray

Dave, I sure hope your issue isn't seriuos ?.... blowing up is such a drag:cuss

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Aubrey,

Mine is a tuned down 409 with dual fours and 4 sp, 3.08 open rear end. My best time was the same day !:roll:laugh
It is 9:1 compression, runs on low octane and dynoned at 385 hp. Puts a big smile on my face every time I make a pass... :dance:hug

Bill

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Mine is a Jack Gibbs stroker kit with 40 over & the Isky cam he installs. Edelbrock heads & carbs with HEI distributor. My original M21 4speed after my T10 crash box kept crashing. 456 gears in a ford 9 inch. Best time to date was 112.08 & 116 MPH at the Iowa shootout. Best time at Eureka was 12.44 & 114 MPH. Hopefully get into the 11's but will have to wait till next season. No more events for me to go to from SLC this year.

Joel

Sounds like EVERYBODY was there !... read... every combination under the sun:deal
Bill, you probably even get decent fuel economy

You're making good power, Joel. high 11's are just a bit of traction away.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Joel is making some serious power with his new engine, Jack did a great job. When he gets the tranny/shifter deal sorted out, look out! Paul is also a little quicker every year and is usually consistent on the tree. It seemed like we all had some kind of issues this year...except Ken!!!

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
It was a great weekend. I want to thank everyone for attending. I want to echo everything that has already been said.
Joel and I were having some traction issues but my biggest issue was at the tree. It seems I took a nap in the semi round and then I couldn't run my number to catch Ken at the stripe. My engine has been in consistent this year so it will get freshened up this winter.
The big news of the event was that we did not have to push Joel's car onto his trailer. He ran great all weekend, placed 2nd in the Shootout and drove it onto the trailer at the end of the weekend.

Paul

HHR-L80

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My engine is a '63 QA block. Stock crank, rods, and 11 to 1 pistons. Heads are 690's with factory sized intake and exhaust valves. The cam, springs and rockers are your recommendation, Aubrey. Intake is the M/T Power Ram with Holley 450's. For ignition, it has a Mallory YC345 double life with their coil. Headers are Jardine 1.75 try Y's. Muncie wide ratio trans, 9 in rear with 4.11's and 275 r 60 M/T drag radials.
My best time so far is 13.98 100mph.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
My engine has 10.1 compression, Edelbrock large port heads, Edelbrock dual 4 manifold, 2 Carter Competition 625's, ISKY Z-55 cam, MSD Distributor and 6AL box and a set of unknown Tri Y headers. The power goes through a JERICO DR4 tranny to a Ford 9in with 4.56 gears pushing on 35 spline axles turning M/T 29.5 x 9 x 15 in SST slicks. The car normally runs 12.0's at 113 plus mph but it is getting tired and only ran a best in Eureka of 12.34 @ 111 mph. I know the altitude and track slowed me down too.

Paul

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Yes it was a great weekend, especially since everything stayed together with my car. This was the only event this year that my car did not have to be pushed onto the trailer. Thanks for the reminder Paul!!!!!! Someone else can take over that honor. Looking forward to next year.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We finally made it home now take a look at Ms Bela and get a video put together !!

Bill

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill, so glad ya'll made it home safe and sound. Take good care of Ms Bela, A '62 belaire 409/409 (black) sold yesterday at the Auburn auction for 84K.