2013 West Coast Shoot Out, Dedicated to Dave Smith

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Not sure about Kansas yet because of it being in September, when I am back at w**k sort of.....but I would like more info on your Oregon events, especially if we don't have a West coast event next year. Plus I have to finish the other car, which may need a name. Like Old School or something.....pics to follow.
dc

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dave,

So glad it turned out to be something you can fix without a lot of money ! I'm hoping we do some get together of some kind this year even if we don't do the Shootout in Eureka ? Sure don't want to loose contact with all the westcoast group...

Bill

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I am with you on that, Bill. I am not sure what the plan is, but I will do my best to attend somewhere.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
I will be getting the Woodburn Dragstrip 2014 schedule sometime in late January or early February 2014. It would be great to do the Oldies But Goodies (mid June) or the Hot Rod Nationals (early August). The weather can be ifie in June, we were rained out this year, but is cool temps and fast times. I will start a thread with that info once I get it.

Paul

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Had a very nice visit from Bill and Linda yesterday, we did a quicky shop tour (doesn't take long), played with Bill's motor home and we also discussed West Coast options for this year.

I can see now that I am not going to get anywhere in September, so we wanted to see if any options remained, either an earlier date in Eureka or possible a drive up to Paul's home track in Woodburn in June or August?? I guess it would depend on whether or not there is any interest at all, or if everyone is saving their best s**t for Kansas??

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Glad you had a nice visit with Bill and Linda. Due to the September Kansas event I told Dan and Cathy, in Eureka that we would not be holding the West Coast Shoot Out this year. They understood and invited us back for 2015. I will talk to Jay Livingston at Woodburn, if there is interest, in holding a shootout during the August Hot Rod Nationals or another event that he might suggest. June's weather is very uncertain so I would hate to gather everyone and then have a rain out. If someone wants to start a thread or PM those that have attended Eureka to find out the interest level.
I've been swamped at work and the whole year looks the same so I've even cancelled my car show this summer.

Paul

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Good to hear from you, Paul. Whatever you guys come up with, we will try to support it.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Wow, you're related to Phil and Larry I know them well. I won't be doing the Route 101 Cruise-In but Phil want to do a show in it's place this year. I will be around but I just don't have the time to get involved this year. Work is getting in the way. I hope to see you when you get down here.

Paul

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Paul, the Hot Rod Nationals event scheduled in early August looks like it could work very well for me. Maybe it is also far enough from Kansas time-wise that we could get a few others to attend. Is this an event that you usually attend?

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
The is one of two events that I have to attend because it's so fun. It would be great to have you up here for that race. I can see if we can do a shootout at that time but it is a huge turnout of racers. I will call the track manager and find out.

Paul

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow, you're related to Phil and Larry I know them well. I won't be doing the Route 101 Cruise-In but Phil want to do a show in it's place this year. I will be around but I just don't have the time to get involved this year. Work is getting in the way. I hope to see you when you get down here.

Paul
Yes those two are cousins.

T-REXblown409

This year we are dedicating the West Coast Shoot Out to our fellow W-head and friend Dave Smith "petepedlar" who passed from us in January 2012. He was a super person and is missed by all who knew him. We will have a special tribute to Dave at the event.

The West Coast Shoot Out will be August 24 - 25, 2013 at Samoa Dragstrip in Eureka, CA. Saturday, Aug 24, is their Nostalgia race that we can participate in along with a car show. Sunday, Aug 25, will be our race in conjunction with their National Dragster Challenge.

The BIG NEWS! On Sunday we will be racing for a NHRA "Wally" trophy. The track is able to do this because our race is now tied to their National Dragster Challenge race. I don't know many events when most of us our eligible to race for a Wally. What a fantastic opportunity.

Start making your plans and marking your calendars for this event. Tell every W-head you know and others to come watch and participate in the tribute to Dave. Even if you are not a racer bring your ride out and watch as we race for the Wally.

I will post up dates as I get them.

Paul
When is the WC 348-409 Shoot Out 2016

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
As far as I know there isn't one scheduled. Would be nice if we were able to have one. Someone on the west coast needs to plan one. Samoa Drag strip was always glad to see us.

Joel

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The problem seems to be that most of the California 409s are car show queens. Paul and I were just discussing this and turnout has been the issue. Samoa is a great spot and they treat us well, but we need more cars and they don't seem to come from California. I bet I could find a dozen 409 cars around here in 1 day, but getting them to show up and/or make a pass?? They are really reluctant. They are more comfortable in Hawaiian shirts and lawn chairs.