2018 HOLLEY NHRA Hot Rod Reunion Bowling Green 409 Shootout June 14-16

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
In spite of the heat I had a great time getting together with old friends. I was disappointed with my cars performance and have to think about what was holding the engine back. The 60 Impala has never liked the heat. May be the under hood temperatures exasperated by no hood scoop? Engine is fresh with no significant changes from 2016. As always I seemed to be running against the wind with track personal. Really minor issues were blown out of proportion by the heat. I can't seem to take it like I used to. The young lady that accompanied me has MS and absolutely cannot take the high temperature and humidity that Bowling Green is famous for. It was a challenge to keep the camper below 85 degrees all weekend. I've known her since she was a kid and really wanted her to have a good time. My plans were to attend Mason Dixon if my body would keep up with my head, I don't think that will happen. If it were a three day event I think I would be willing to go the extra mile. Plans now include Beaver Springs and let's see if I can do more. I hope I can. I tried to say hello to everyone and if I missed anyone it's my bad. Congratulations to the guys that toughed it out and brought home the win.

racergurl409

Well Known Member
Would like to start by saying Condolences to Allen George's Family on his passing. Very sad news on the Eve of the BG race. RIP Allen!! My daughter Brittany and I had a great time and a great first outing for the car. It didn't run in the 8s, but it will eventually. Big thanks to Lonnie, Scott, Ricky, and all the lovely girls that put on a Great racer dinner. Thanks to everyone else who helped in the organization of this event. I got to put a lot of faces with names this year. I'm really proud of Bryan for his BACK TO BACK win!!! Shan, sorry for your loss. Another Great 348/409 Race in the books. :appl

I couldnt have said it better. I had an absolute blast. Ive been wanting to make one of these races since dad started participating yrs ago. Thank you to all who made this event possible and that dinner was AMAZING. Great pics Bryan and congrats on your win :clap Only videos I got were from the gopro mounted on dads car and I wasnt the greatest at capturing pics :facepalm It was great to finally put some faces to names. Looking forward to the next one :brow05DD4D39-D079-41EF-9885-52A1207C579B.jpeg

Any suggestions on getting my Dad's 62 Impala to run well. 472 stroker, 690's ported, 2.25 and 1.75 with 1.75 rockers and .100 pushrods. 2x4 manifold port matched to heads with original afb carbs. We are thinking of going to walden or mcquillen intake to help get some more HP. 4-link set up with 33 inch tire and big gear, can't remember what size gear. It's not in the car yet. It is still on the stand. BTW, it was nice meeting all you guys and getting info on this rare breed of engine. Now we have some people that can help guide us.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I couldnt have said it better. I had an absolute blast. Ive been wanting to make one of these races since dad started participating yrs ago. Thank you to all who made this event possible and that dinner was AMAZING. Great pics Bryan and congrats on your win :clap Only videos I got were from the gopro mounted on dads car and I wasnt the greatest at capturing pics :facepalm It was great to finally put some faces to names. Looking forward to the next one :browView attachment 62299

It was great to get to meet you and get a chance to talk with your dad.:bow
It has to be fun to watch your dad race I know I enjoyed watching. :)

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
i was parked next to Gary and believe he said he had a broken rocker stud and blown lifter. Rob then took the belair back to Georgia...Gary, thanks again for your hospitality to me and Karen. It was fun parking with and meeting all you racers, though my street car was kinda out of place there. And everyone was very nice and made us feel right at home...great food and friendship.Thanks, Dean

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I saw you already changed it on the forum. Just think you should be even faster in cooler weather. Great job

Thanks. The first time I raced a car on the clock, probably 7 years ago, I ran the Crusher in the 15's. Been whittiling away with a lot of race guys help ever since. Thanks guys. Especially my small block guy back home that has been racing over 50 years. He was suprised when I showed him a pic with air under the left front. Wait until he sees I carried both last weekend.....:winner:winner:winner

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks. The first time I raced a car on the clock, I ran the Crusher in the 15's. Been whittiling away with a lot of race guys help ever since. Thanks guys. Especially my small block guy back home that has been racing over 50 years. He was suprised when I showed him a pic with air under the left front. Wait until he sees I carried both.....:winner:winner:winner
Awesome Dave!