235 to 348 Swap

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hi Guys, I'm new to this so be gentle
I'm swaping a 235 6 Cyl out of my 58 Chevy belair Stock
and putting in a mildly pepy 348.
Does anyone have any tips on mods I should make like a Posi rear end or suspension Beefups
Thanks 58 Guy

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
6 to 348

Hey 58 Guy
I completed a similar swap on my 61 last year........:rolleyes:
Lotsa small changes to be made like the frame motor mounts were different....:doh
The 6 weighs more than the 348 so I did not change out the front springs, car sits nice in the front with a little less weight......:cool:
I also went from a PG to a T10 so had to make other changes as well......check out
the wiring harness too, on the 61 it was different for the 348.

The change over was worth the effort......it became a new car.........:D

:cheers
bj

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A posi unit would be a nice way to go, but I just thought I'd let you know that the stock open rearends were all pretty much the same, except for different gear ratios. So the rearend and driveshaft in you 6cyl. car would be just as strong as one from a 348. If you're running an automatic it should hold up just fine.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Just like Jim said the stock rear end will handle most street performance
we throw at these cars........;)
I did not do anything to the rearend yet.......just wanted to get the car out and running...........:D
As for chat rooms, I'm not much for them either.......just prefer to use the message board.........always great advise on this one........:clap

bj

58 Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the tips I found a local shop who can do a posi conversion and I figure it's a kinda preventative measure but I'm gonna go with the orig 3 on the tree Std to begin with and upgrade later cause like you were saying I'd like to get it back on the road as soon as I can and tweek it as I go (Famous last words). Hey I started out planning to replace some rusty body pannels and then decided why not throw in a small block while I'm at it. Bought what I and the guy I bought it from thought was a 283 out of a 65 Chev, turns out that the block numbers told me it was a 65 block but was actually a 68 307, then I saw a 348 in the paper needing a few parts for $2500 did a little research and found out it was a truck block and DEFINITELY not worth near that, and after talking with the pontiac guy in Alberta I'm getting the engine I've loved since I was a kid what can I say.
She's real fine my 409 (Well almost 409, 348 suits the 58) Sorry to ramble
Thanks again.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey 58 Guy
Good luck on the project.........it's great to see another 'W' being
resurrected..........:clap
Don't hesitate to ask for help.........these are the best motorhaeds on the internet.........:bow

bj