235 vs. later 6

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Need a little info...I have a 64 Belair which has a 62 (I was told)or maybe earlier 235 six banger in it now....the engine sits very high in the compartment...enough to have the thermostat housing hit the hood reinforcement and also not allow even the stock oil bath filter to sit on the carb and allow the hood to close..this is an original 409 car so I am trying to determine whether the engine frame mounts have been changed or ???? There is only 1 inch clearance between frame saddle and pan so it looks like it is at least installed right....was the earlier 235 6 different in height than a 64version 6 ?

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
1962 was the last year for the 235. In 1963 they came out with the 194, 230 and 292(truck) six cylinder engines, with the 250 following in 1965. These engines were shorter in length and height than the 235 engine, and also featured the full-flow spin-on oil filter. Also, at least in the 63 up trucks, they no longer used the horseshoe mount in the front of the engine like the 235, instead they used side engine mounts. I'm sure someone here can tell you if the 63 up cars were the same. The newer sixes would have bolted right up to the 409 bell housing, but the 235 used it's own bell housing. Hope that helps.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here are some pics of this engine...one shows a date code I believe which looks like 1818...also showing head casting number and motor mount frame brackets as well as a shot or 2 of the height of this thing...I'm thinking this is a 1958 6 cyl ...if cars could talk...:brow

tn6banger008.jpg

tn6banger010.jpg

tn6banger003.jpg

tn6banger001.jpg

tn6banger002.jpg

tn6banger004.jpg

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
There was an oil bath cleaner in the trunk that hung off to the side of the carb..I didn't try it on there but I really doubt it would have worked without interfering with the hood...any ideas on that date code ? I have no clue on 6 cyl engines...is that a julian 181 with an 8 ??? How about the head csating number...any ideas ?

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I guess I got myself off topic on my own question here....anyone know if the frame mounted motor mount brackets are different for 6 and V8 ?? I'm yanking this stovebolt anyway !

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Frame mount?

Yes the frame mounts are different, I had to swap mine out when I pulled the 235 six from my 60 Impala and replaced it with the 348. Donor car mounts were 60 Impala with a 283!

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Engine Brackets

4onthefloor, the brackets on the engine look like the same ones used on 63-72 six cylinder trucks. On the six cylinder trucks with that style mount, the rubber mount that bolts to the bracket with three bolts is actually the V8 mount. I have swapped many of those trucks over to V8(and vise versa). The rubber mounts you have(or new ones like them) should bolt right up to the V8. It looks like they may have used the truck brackets to bolt the six in place of the 409 using the same frame brackets. Just a thought.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, You sure make it sound easy. The last time I did that job, I bloodied up some knuckles and said many bad words. Since I may have to do the same thing again, when or if I ever find my next car, I wonder if there are any vendors who sell the V8 frame mounts. Even though I am " low budget " , I would consider buying them instead ot laying under another greasy parts car. Seems that I remember 2 of those nuts were practically impossible to get to.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
"It looks like they may have used the truck brackets to bolt the six in place of the 409 using the same frame brackets"

This sure would make my life a lot easier if they are the right frame mounts

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Frame Mounts

4onthefloor, sorry if I got your hopes up for nothing. I was just hoping for you that they were the right ones. I wish they were like the '63 and up trucks; they used the same frame brackets for the six and the V8(except for the 292), the V8 bolted right in using the same rubber mounts. You didn't even have to move the brackets or the transmission, everything lined up perfectly. Guess that's why I'm an OldTruckNut. Best of luck.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Easy job.

Ronnie, if I remember correctly that was a bear of a job. Bollts and nuts are hard to get to inside of frame. "So", you talk to your car too when doing work!:grumble: