283 = 354

J & J

Well Known Member
Does any one know if you can put a small block 400 in crank shaft into a 1960 283 block?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does any one know if you can put a small block 400 in crank shaft into a 1960 283 block?

I`ll ask a friend. he has done just about all the configurations you can do with a SBC.
I think it comes out as a 348 !!:brow

Opps,,, me bad,, I think its a 283 crank in a 400 block,,,,

J & J

Well Known Member
283=354

putting the 283 crank into a 400 small block, I think one would only need larger main bearing to take up the gap. the 400 crank I have is already clearanced to fit into a 350 block. I have the crank and a 283 block, so was just thinking for a future project down the road. And according to my calculations it comes out to 353.6 cubic inches round off to 354 same as an older chrysler hemi engine. or I guess now the new hemi engine I think is a 354 ci... any way if your friend can help that would be appreciated.... thanks J & J

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here`s what my SBC guru says,,,,
No you can't. The main journals are way to big on the 400 crank but you can put a 327 big journal crank in a 400 block which is what I did in the cheapshot last time. The cu. in. is 352.
As far as I know no one makes a bearing spacer from the 283 journal size to the 350 journal size. Bill Crumpy made his own out of stock bearings but he knows what the f**k is what and I don't know anybody who would be willing to try that trick.

The Cheapshot was his race truck,,,dq

jr.W

Well Known Member
If you are trying to put a 400 crank in a 283 block you would have issues with the
counter weights hitting the bottom of the bores. The 283 blocks before the 327 came out were not notched for counter weights.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
J&j

if you are after that bore/stroke combo, sell the 283, some corvette guys are still after them. find a good 307 block and drop your 400 crank in and you are good to go. (I THINK !!!!!!!)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
if you are after that bore/stroke combo, sell the 283, some corvette guys are still after them. find a good 307 block and drop your 400 crank in and you are good to go. (I THINK !!!!!!!)

Yep, that would work. The 307 has the 283 bore and the main journal that they you would need for the turned down crank .